Where to dose 2 part and should i turn skimmer off?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by bbrian189, Feb 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bbrian189

bbrian189 Skunk Shrimp

Where do most people dump their 2 part stuff in when they are dosing.. should i just dump it into the main tank or should i put it in the sump?

Also should i turn my skimmer off for a few hours after i dose the tank? I am not sure if it would just suck up everything i just added into the water.

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Shackman23

Shackman23 Teardrop Maxima Clam

i just dump mine in my tank, infront of my power head, and it gets disolved quickly i dont think it would get sucked up by the skimmer but im sure someone else will chime in!

4. bbrian189

bbrian189 Skunk Shrimp

thanks sounds good.. i just remember a while ago when i just dosed some mag in the tank the skimmer went crazy for a day or two

5. Shackman23

Shackman23 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Some things will do that, but it usually says on the bottle to turn the skimmer off, i know on my ick attack it tells me 2 for 12hrs

1 person likes this.
  6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

bbrian

which product are you using

in general though
    sump would be better IMO - in an area of flow so that its dispersed before entering DT

dont dose the 2 components at the same time - leave at least a few minutes between part 1 and 2 (I have a doser that releases my Ca and Alk supplements at 2 hourly intervals)

no need to turn off skimmer

Steve

1 person likes this.
  7. bbrian189

bbrian189 Skunk Shrimp

I am using bulk reef supply recipe 1. why wouldnt you want to dose them at the same time?

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

double check the instruction bbrian
    I have never used the Bulk Reef Product
    but with a number of other products you want to dose seperately
    to avoid both supplements fighting each other for occupancy of the liquid

basically - if you add 1 to the water and the other 1 to quickly, you can experience localised precipitation
    before the ions are mixed throughout your tank, you will have higher levels in the localised area that you added the liquid to
    which means if you add the second one to quickly it can cause some of what you have added to fall out of the solution in that area

hence allowing time for the part 1 to spread throughout your system, before adding the part 2 is a good idea

10. bbrian189

bbrian189 Skunk Shrimp

ok def. will. thanks again for the quick response. I will double check the instructions, dose in the sump, and wait a few minutes between doses.