Where to Buy T8 10000k and Greater Tubes

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by AquaStudent, Dec 30, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AquaStudent

AquaStudent Astrea Snail

Hello 3reef,

I've got a 55 gallon African Cichlid tank with two 6500k 48" T8 Bulbs in a fixture I put together (the old one blew out). I would like to try using a bluer bulb in the fixture to help accent colors but my local hardware stores (Lowes, Home Depot, etc) do not carry anything with a higher temperature than 6500k.

I could go to Petsmart/Petco/LFS and pick up an actinic or something like that but that'll cost me $30. Is there a cheaper solution?

I know for planted aquariums it's cheaper (and I the look better) to use regular 6500k tubes from a hardware store (for less than $10) rather than $30 for a "plant" bulb. Is there a similar source for higher temperature bulbs?

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You will need to go to a LFS or order them on line. Probably will be cheaper on line even with shipping.

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

If it is a planted tank, I think 6500 K bulbs would be your best option for plant growth. Just my 2 cents.

5. AquaStudent

AquaStudent Astrea Snail

yes, 6500k is the best for a planted tank, but this is not a planted tank. I'm trying to accent the colors in my african cichlid tank (similar to the colors provided in a reef tank). I thought I put that into my first post but apparently not. Sorry for the confusion.

I want to get a 10000-20000k bulb to go with my 6500k bulb to accent colors.

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Adding a blue bulb in will do no harm as the plants can use blue light quite well.

Actually I would suggest getting a roseate lamp if you can find one in T8.

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

No need to apologize, just a simple misunderstanding. You did include it in your original post, I just made an assumption based on your signature. You know what they say about assumptions...

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Thanks. Good too know. I figured growth may take a hit by removing a 6500 K from the fixture. But since this isn't a planted tank, this is a moot topic.

Good luck finding your bulb! Wish I could help.