where to buy ? fiji live rock ?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by pink4miss, May 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

2. Click Here!

3. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

thanks but right near me has great looking rock at 3.49 a lb. i will be getting it there

4. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

All the "pink" BTA's I have seen end up turning more red once they get un stressed.

I thought about opening my own store recently as well and have been in this hobby a very long time. Many times a distributor will only sell something as it appears when they get it. What it looks like after its been in a tank for a while can be quite different.

5. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

well this morning i found the anemone dead and denigrating in my tank :( i knew it was a long shot since it was already injured. did a 50% water change and checked all water specs to be sure the tanks critters are ok.

6. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Nay had been said, nay had been right.

7. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

well the next one will not be injured when i buy it. and we will see how that turns out. ....good im sure. Anemones do fine in tanks when there are no uncovered pumps to hurt them. and they are hand feed from time to time.:p

8. Click Here!

9. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

A hurt or stressed anemone usually is a long shot when it goes from it's existing tank to a different one.

Any anemone moving around so much that it gets into a pump is not a happy anemone. A new clone will move a little until it is happy in a new place, but other than that they don't move much if they are doing well.

No pump is anemone safe unfortunately.

If they get enough light, they don't even need any supplemental food. If you don't have enough light, or want an anemone to split, feed them.

10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i always fed my anemones in the last tank. guess thats why they split. i gave some to friends and now will be receiving one back. someone i gave one to 3-4 years ago still has them and they have done well. and has offered me one back for the new tank. :) a rose anemone.

and you know when i gave the rose anemone to him i told him put it were you want it. since these seem to stay put and dont move. he laughed. but later said...you know that anemone stayed where i put it!!!
    i do believe this is because the original one i bought was tank raised. and of course its off spring from my tank was tank raised. this strain was used to being in tanks. and was happy there. not wild caught.

as far as no pump being safe... i always had a sponge cover over my pump intake. its a pain and something extra to clean. but needed if your putting anemones in your tank

11. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Agreed on the sponge point.

12. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

IME, feeding an anemone is simply an overabundance of resources, and not really a stress.

I guess I can relate to anemone in this way...
    If I eat too much, my pants will split. LOL