where to buy ? fiji live rock ?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by pink4miss, May 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

$3.49 is cheap but not extremly out of the ordinary. There is one LFS by me that sells "live rock" $3.99Ib, however its just "live" it doesnt look great, its not covered in coraline and it may or may not have hitchikers. (depending on your luck of the draw) I purchased my first 20Ibs of rock in "live rock" and I wish I hadnt becuase the rock was filled with aiptasia. Im still battling those unsightly pests to this day.

Also you will pay more per pound for live rock with the same cosmetics as the same kind in baserock. So why not spend that $3.49 Ib on somthing thats going to look great in a short period of time. The only benifit you get in "Live" rock is cycling time, all the other pros favor base rock. (unless you get premium coraline covered "live Rock" which is much more expensive and still runs the risk of hitchikers)

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

well made it to the local store. the rock there looks awesome. and it just came in a little bit ago, they have a huge amount. so im told they wont order more till its gone. so.... why not let them cure it. :) she said 2 weeks till its fully cured. perfect timing for me. happy happy

oh seen a green anemone there with a very pink bottom. loved it. but it was caught in the pump cover...uuurrrggghhh . well they had pulled the cover from the pump and it was working free. i have it on hold. hoping when it frees its ok. so far it was looking ok. i hope to bring it home and give it a very happy home.

dont get it! why didnt the store have a padded filter on that cover!!!!! uuurrrggghhh

4. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Do you have a tank set up now? If the tank you are talking about is a new tank, you might want to wait 6 months of having a reef set up to get any anemone.

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

He's considering getting a nem that was ALREADY stuck in a filter when he looked at it; don't expect responsibility to be paramount.

6. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i have a 6 gallon tank running it's in there till i get the new tank. im just worried about the damage it got at the fish store. im familiar with anemones and how to care for them. i will feed it till i get it a pair of clowns. and even than i will feed it once in a while also.
    so far the anemone has attached to a rock and likes the added light i added for it. this morning it had moved to the side of the rock. than i turned the lights on and its back on the top. thinking of turning the lights on a bit earliar. or off later? havent yet decieded.

not a newbie to saltwater tanks, i took my first tank down 2 years ago it was a 58 gallon with a 30 gallon sump refug. im sorry i sold it. that tank ran its self, it didnt need much care at all . missed it so much i decided to go for it once again. i thought i would be happy with 6 gallons....well you know how that goes! so i ordered a 35 gallon zeroedge with a 25 gallon sump refug. i think that should satisfy me for a little while. the 6 gallon will become my QT tank... trying to do it right from the start really thinking the whole tank out. ordered one of the reef angels. thats on its way. that looks awesome! and with the zeroedge i will need the auto top off. im told they lose a gallon a day.
    have already decided on a light. metal halide of course, since heats not so much of an issue with zeroedge tanks. next item to buy i think will be the ro system. uuuurrrgghhh more research and thought. like is the kent better than the cheaper companys? or are you paying for the name?

...........well i think i have rattled on enough

7. pjracer

pjracer Peppermint Shrimp

Where are you located?

8. Click Here!

9. Bloodkip

Bloodkip Ritteri Anemone

You can always try craiglist for live rock. I got my live rock for $1.75-2.00 per lbs.

10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

pennsylvania

11. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

[​IMG]

the new baby.... im hoping it makes it i know im taking a huge chance. but its PINK!

12. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

It looks just a bit white to me.