Where should I position the 2 powerheads

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Nyraider30, Mar 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nyraider30

Nyraider30 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Looking at my 90 gallon my return is on the left side of the tank with the water flowing from the left to the right...I bought two power heads ...any thoughts? Appreciate the advice..thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Pictures......Pictures......Pictures......Please :)

4. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

pictures would help to see the layout of the tank, however, I would put one along side the return, and the have the other at the opposite side pointing either up towards the surface or down to direct the flow in a circular motion

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

sorry nano, i have to disagree! I don't like the circular motion, it creates dead spots and limits how things can grow! I think it you put them in the rear corners facing upwards to the middle front, you can create a wavelike motion in the tank and have many more zones of movement!

What pumps though? and pics for sure! good chance i'm wrong:)

6. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

nah I agree with you there as well, it also adds a lot of gas transfer at the surface your way. and then creates a type of downward flow after :)

7. Nyraider30

Nyraider30 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

In the process of setting it up just trying to get ideas....I bought 2 koralia evolutions (1050)..switching my saltwater over to reef..also getting the acan 48 inch 600 series led light

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Tons of downward flow! With my new 1400's a squirrel could surf my surface, and you could peel paint off with the downward turn of the water, but it does create a neat ebb and flow surf condition that way.

10. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

hmm... I never did see a squirl surf before.. only water ski.. would like to see it! ;)