Where should i position my rock?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Toallhisdoom, Apr 3, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

Hey guys, right now 75 gal with tons of rock. Have it all built up in the center so none of it touches the glass sides. But when i look at othere tanks that i like it seems they all have walls built up along the back of the tank. Is this ok? I had read that you wanted current to be able to go all around the rock. But seems a lot of people position the rock against the back wall so there is free space towards the front.

I want to do this because i like the way it looks but just want to know whats best.

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I started with mone of my rocxk touching the back wall.
    Then I put most of mine along the back after I found my fish mostly statying on the front side of it anyways.

I still have alot of nooks and tunnels they go into along the back.

That way, It gave me more open water when it's mostly along the middle/back, and the back was painted anyways.

NOw if you have a two sided viewing, well that's a different story.

4. vawdka

vawdka Coral Banded Shrimp

Well, I have some near the back of my tank but the flow behind my rocks seems sufficient. I have filter feeders that hang our back there feeding in the current. One thing that I have learned though is don't put your rocks too near glass on the viewing side of your tank. If you plan to see from all sides then I wouldn't put the rock near the glass. My issue is if the rock is too close then my magnetic glass cleaner can't fit and clean the glass.

5. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

Well the tank back and one end are against a wall. And the other end is where i have all my supply stacked up. So all you can really see through is the front, so think i am gonna go ahead and stack it up farther towards the back. I think i need more rock tho. Ahh

6. glampka

glampka Coral Banded Shrimp

It really depends on what you like. However if you pile it against the back wall & something dies back there you'll have a tough time getting it out.

7. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I always try to leave a hand's width between the rockwork and tank walls. That way, I can access that part of the tank if need be, I can see back there from the side (we run black backed setups), there are fewer dead spots for detritus to collect, and the rockwork isn't pre-stressing the panes (assuming a glass tank).

8. Click Here!

9. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

^^ That.
    We have the dreaded "wall o' rock" in our 55. Not much choice in a tank that only has a foot front-to-back. If you have the room to not have the wall, I wouldn't have the wall. It's actually really hard to place corals on so you'll end up with everything on top.