Where is a good location for overflow kit?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by GAZBO, Mar 3, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

Well so far so good two 2" are done now the 3/4"

2. Click Here!

3. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

yeappie! Holes are drilled now its time to remove the old silicone on the inside corners.

1 person likes this.
  4. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

right on !! K+ to ya ;D

5. jcoreyblack

jcoreyblack Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Itrested in how you worked out the issue with the bracing.. I'll have the same issue & havent concedred it untill I read your thread.

6. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

I have not taken care of the brace issue I just resealed the inside corners of the tank and wanted to make sure its good and cured before I take care of the problem I plan on removing the brace and cutting it into thirds and put one piece back in the center and the other sections at the end of the overflow box that way I only have to work around a 5" center piece. I will let you know how it goes hopefully I can get it done tomorrow

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  7. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

Well finally got the brace moved it was alot of work the brace is laying on top of the tank glass and the frame is notched around the brace I had to remove one side of the frame to get the brace off it took at least 2 hrs to get this done. I was lucky to be able to remove the brace without taking the other side of the frame off. I then took it down to a glass shop and had it cut into thirds. notched the frame and reinstalled the braces so now I have a smaller piece of glass in the middle and have good access to the overflow box. the other two are just past the overflow box.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. jcoreyblack

jcoreyblack Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thats awesome, I'll be taking this same project on in a wek or 2. Did this restrict you on size as far as getting rocks in & out? Do you have a pic of you new top section with the overflow?

1 person likes this.
  10. lillys Grandad

Good point..allowing for adding / removing any large items already in the tank..:eek: ..hind sight sometimes hurts..lol...But good job, you had a couple of "hold your breath" moments Excellent, glad ya got it done....wheeew!8)

11. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

sorry it took me so long to get some pics it didn't restrict me that bad I steal ended up with 18"X18" opening at each end the pieces of glass ended up being just over 5" wide a piece. My arch rack I built restricted more than anything else. Everything went together great no leaks tanked is stocked so its hard to get pics now but if anything else I can do to help. It turned out being a bigger project but glad I did it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. lillys Grandad

That is bad azz....nice work man.. : )