Where does everyone set up their RO/DI

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Midnight_Madman, Jul 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

Just curious where you have yours set up and attached to a water source and how you get your water to your display?
    I know there are many ways to do i t, but looking for some ideas.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. Ducksmasher

Ducksmasher Purple Spiny Lobster

kitchen sink, poly tubing run into attic, thru wall w/pull chain/magnet out hole in baseboard. tubing is super cheap, .16 /ft

4. Midnight_Madman

What the heck?

5. Ducksmasher

Ducksmasher Purple Spiny Lobster

rodi straight to the tank on a valve. then at the tank to ato. super easy. you run it up the wall at the sink, then through the attic, then down the wall where the tank is at. look up using a pull chain/magnet to get through the wall.

6. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

I set mine up in the garage next to the washing machine. I happen to have a big garage-type sink there that is really deep so I put a 5gal bucket in there and fill it up. I choice that spot because if I forget to check on the RO/DI and leave it over flowing it won't flood anything, it just goes down the drain.

Then I carry the bucket to the tank and use a toms aqua lifter to pump the water into the tank.

7. Midnight_Madman

Im more trying to get ideas on where to make up my water change water. I have a 90 and change about 25-30 gallons when needed.

8. Click Here!

9. 4phish

4phish Montipora Digitata

My bro-in-law have ours on a wall in the garage next to a slop sink. We have a 34g trash can next to it also. We can easily hook up the ro to the slop sink and the water goes directly into the trash can, with the waste water going into the slop sink.

10. bluetang08

bluetang08 Purple Spiny Lobster

My laundry room is next to the garage so when I need water I fill a 40g trashcan (about every 2 weeks) by unscrewing the hose from the washer and hooking it up to the RO unit. I run the waste water down the drain and fill the can (about 12 hours). I then use a 5g bucket to transfer that water to another can (same size) in the garage. Every morning and night or whenever needed I add a pitcher full (about 3 liters) to the tank. I have considered an ATO but this method is malfunction proof.

11. Midnight_Madman

cool. then how do you get the water to the tank?

12. reeferdude

reeferdude Fire Shrimp

i have mine mounted on the wall at the washing machine. i use a 2 way diverter valve on the water spiget. one goes to the washer and the other goes to the rodi. the waste tube goes in the washer drain pipe thats in the wall. i run the rodi outlet tube all the way to my fish room where all the tanks equipment is at. i have a 32 gallon brute trash can that i fill for making wc. i use a quiet one 2200 pump with hose attached to mix the saltwater in the trashcan and also use the same hose to transfer from trashcan to tanks