Where can you get aragonite sand...CHEAP!!!

Discussion in 'Sand' started by jzenob, Oct 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LouisLuvr12

LouisLuvr12 Astrea Snail

if your looking for aragonite i suggest arag-alive its works pretty well i have it in my tank it makes cycling go by so much faster and it keeps the water clear and helps with ammonia and nitrates, you can get it online drs foster and smith has it, your lfs should have it, or you can even go to liveaquaria.com and order it. you shouldnt have to worry about it spoiling or anything during shipment cause it has a twelve mo. shelf life, and it runs about 15 or 14 dollars for about twenty or 15 lbs. i wouldnt even think about sand from lowes or anyplace like that, for one you dont know what chemicals are on it, two its not for reefs, and last imo it dint come out of a sealed package that says arag-alive.

2. Click Here!

3. jzenob

jzenob Coral Banded Shrimp

dudeee I need at least 160lbs to fill my 150 Plus that "live sand " stuff is a joke.....I am not trying to spend $300 on sand

4. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

160lbs Bahamas Argonite sand - $109.00 (shipping included)
    MarcoRocks

I never consider it "live sand" when I get it, I simply assume everything died in transit and rinse well with RO/DI water per the included instructions - it looks great and adding a cup or 2 of sand from an established sandbed will quickly populate it.

5. wkbrdr1661

wkbrdr1661 Purple Spiny Lobster

My tank and ocean paradise is high desert play sand from home depot.

I got 200 lbs for 8 bucks. Thats pretty darn cheap!

6. wigginsreef

wigginsreef Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

What's the vinegar test?

I've been keeping tankswith both sand and BB and have found some awesome looking finely crushed limestone. I livein FL. so this stuff isn't hard forme to get $25 fora half a cubic yard. Seems like limestone should be ideal asit is what all FL reefs grow on, but I would really like to know what thisvinegar test is and how it could help me determine suitability, especially as I have already used this stuff in a 75G tank that I set up about three weeks ago. Tankis doing fine and water quality is good, but seems to be taking a long time to mature. Pic included for reference on size of particles. I screened this stuff to get out all the really small stuff. Would like opinion on whether or not people think that was smart as well.
    Thanks reefers!!!

Attached Files:

7. wigginsreef

Crushed limestone bubbles like crazy in vinegar!

If that's the correct conclusion from the vinegar test, then all Floridians should be in great shape for substarte. This stuff can be found at almost any landscape supply place that sells mulch, gravel and the like. They call it 919 and here in J-ville it sells for $53 per cubic yard which is about 2000 lbs. Also if you use some window screen material you can seperate the small snady pieces from the larger crushed coral size pieces and use whichever you like.

8. Click Here!

9. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

Good find, where in Jacksonville did you buy it?

10. wigginsreef

The nameof the place I got it was Mulch and more and it is located on the corner of Collins Rd and Roosevelt (hwy 17) right near the buckman bridge, but I have bought it before for hardscape projects, as I used to be a contractor, and I can tell you it's available at just about any landscape supplier who sells mulch and gravel by the yard. at least here in JAX They have a web site that lists other locations etc.
    Jacksonville Landscaping Supplies - Jacksonville Mulch, Sod, Stone, Pavers, Soil and Sand

I'm sure that this stuff is widely available...at least here in FL

1 person likes this.
  11. kookie_guy

kookie_guy Spaghetti Worm

is that what you are using? This is something I'd be very interested in using in my new 65G tank. I like the really fine sand. Any issues with it at all?

12. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

yes, this is what I have in my tank, it is great :)

[​IMG]