When will my Monti Cap get...(update pics)

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Va Reef, May 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

from what ive gathered online, the flow of water over the tissue is atcually wshat causes it to grow, i have a koralia nano (240gph) pointing at it about 6 inches away.

as far as lighting goes, its about 3" from the surface with a Par38 7 bulb fixture about 15" above the surface.

2. Click Here!

3. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Ive also seen the plating done by people fragging them in a certain pattern, it is not as round and swirly as the original pic you posted but it definitely plates out

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I accidently fragged it the other day, the piece is 1" long and about 1/4" wide. not really that big but maybe it will help.

Also it turns out that i have a little teeny tiny peice that looks like it might be starting to "plate"

5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

I agree with all above that it will do it on it's own with size and flow... But you can do it Yourself, kinda like bonsai trees lol.

My friend loves montipora but he doesn't like to let them get big in his tank. So he is meticulous about keeping them small but still plating. He actually has it down to a science how to shape them haha.
    Anyways, if you make a cut in yours on the right side where it looks like it might be getting ready to plate you will probably get it to grow into a plating circle on that side :)

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

can you see what i'm talking about in the picture? should i wait a couple of weeks so it can recover from the initial "frag"?

7. TeamAquaSD

TeamAquaSD 3reef Sponsor

I'd recommend something stronger than a K-nano, K-nano's are ok, but not very strong in flow. For reference, my monti's sit within 2" of a k-3

8. Click Here!

9. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

but im afraid that would blow away the rest of my corals, and a fish lol. maybe i should upgrade to a K-1? they also have K-nano 450GPH versions, but my LFS has yet to get one.

10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Does this look good? i've already seen some growth since that first picture. In the first picture, will that serated looking edge spread out kinda of like Zoanthid's Monti?

the second pic, shows where i think its gonna plate.

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      390.5 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      389 KB
      Views:
  11. progman2000

progman2000 Astrea Snail

I've got one that is about 3-4 inches that I glued on an extra mag float I have on the back glass. It's one edge has grown to the point it's touching the glass - does anyone know how this will affect it's growth? Will it start growing up or more from the other unobstructed sides?

12. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Ive seen people put it in the corner of the tank, and it littlerally takes the shape of the corner. its the one coolest thing i've seen.