When to trim Chaeto.

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by onecansay, May 14, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bob F

Bob F Bristle Worm

I think it all depends on how much flow, lighting etc. As you are, I thought about this as well. My theory on this started as this, If I trimmed way back the uptake of nutrients would be a lot slower. If i left it big then much more can be absorb. So what I then learned and adjusted to was I let it grow until I start seeing some die off then take a couple hand fulls out. My refrgium has low flow through it and the ball gets very densily packed. The denser the ball hgets the flow gets further restrictedated. Kind of like weeds strangling itself. I wish I had much more flow so to let it get even bigger and absorb more. i also notice when I pull it apart (stretch it out) and leave it, it takes off again again proobably increase flow. Sorry for rambling but as long as it is growing and healthy, let it grow. If not, cut it back to give better light penetration and flow through the whole ball Just my 2 cents

2. Click Here!

3. ivanbosk

ivanbosk Feather Duster

I am thinking my light in my refugium isn't strong enough for my chaeto...it grows, but sloooowly. What are you guys using as a light source? How long to you have it on? Thanks.

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I use a 13W CFL (I think 6000K). On opposite the DT lights, so from 8:30PM-9:30AM. I don't have as much as Todd, but it is larger than a basketball!

5. Bob F

Bob F Bristle Worm

Mine is 6500 CFL from lowes it took me awhile to find a 6500K but they have it. My light schedule is the same as Marshall.

6. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

So I put cheato in the sump a year ago, and now it's this ? My LFS takes it off me all the time and appears to sell it ?
    Crikey,, how do I get rid of it ? Pull it out and go black in the refugium for a while ? Anything that will munch it away ?

7. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

I used the Marineland LED light and growth seemed to double in speed. I leave it on 24 hours a day. I just push mine and turn it from time to time to allow it to grow. It's been in there November last year I never trimmed it yet.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Dang todd! I've never seen that much cheato

10. onecansay

onecansay Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have a 6500K bulb on mine. It is 13 watt florescent 50 watt equivalent. Me thinks this is enough as it IS growing.

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I couldn't get mine to grow much under 6500k compact florecent either. I think I'll try my Taotronic LED over it. Phosphate is around 0.07.

12. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I use two 3 watt spot led lights from deep blue that suction cup to my sump. One white and one red, I get great growth.