When to trim Chaeto.

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by onecansay, May 14, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. onecansay

onecansay Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I introduced a small amount of chaeto three weeks ago and it has tripled in size. I know that it means that there is an ample amount of nutrients. Only two clowns fed every other day.

Question is when to trim the stuff and how much to remove not to upset the nutrient uptake.

The growth worries me as I am trying to re-establish the system which is six years old. Had algae bloom three weeks ago, hence the chaeto introduction.

No algae in DT now but wondering how long rocks can hold the nitrates after an extended time dormant.

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

When they are dry...Forever.Phosphates are usually the problem.It can take years for nutrients to leach and that is if you can manage to keep them low enough.Pretend the chaeto is nitrate and phosphate.I t really doesn't matter how much you trim as long as its not dieing.The nutrients will stay locked up.
    The ammounts and schedule for trimming are going to be different in every system.Trim it.;)

4. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

I pull about 10 Lbs out every month, I swap it for snails and crabs at my local fish store, usually about 25-30$ worth,so it keeps my cuc stocked up for free.

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Why are you killing so many snails and crabs Ken?????:confused:

6. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

My crabs seem to sit and pull the snails out of their shells all day long, isn't this normal ?
    And I believe my tomini tang and big boy are munching their way through the crabs.
    Although the crab population does appear to have stabilised since my puffer fish had his last swim, but that might be a coincidence.
    I usually try to put all the newer crabs in my refugium, and the snails in the DT, I normally select the bigger snails and move them 1 at a time into the DT otherwise when the crabs are very small they don't seem to last the night.

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I let me chaeto get as massive as possible.
    I give some away, trade some away, and get credit at my fav. Lfs too.
    I have yet to ever throw it away.

I really haven't seen anyone else's chaeto look quite as green and think as mine is, yet anyways.
    I figure if it's nutrient starved, it will just stunt it's growth some.

I see others people chaeto, and it never seems to be nearly as big or full as mine- yet anyways- I'm sure some have more than me.
    I usually just see a small ball, like less than a basketball sized.
    While I currently have a small dufflebag size.

I think it's the total volume to chaeto ratio also.

My non controller, non dosing pump, system basically relies on my huge chaeto mass- seems to keep things in check pretty well.

We're talking LOTS of chaeto for me and my system.

Trim it? Why? It's going to grow, get massive, etc.

PS- When my current 125 is made into my sump for my 180, I plan on letting it triple in size from the massive amount I have now, and maintain that!!

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

As for trimming - I tend to do it when the top of it drys out a bit. Rotating it appears to help reduce this need. I just yank off the old, sometimes using scissors.

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

who else has balls as big as Todd's ? :) j/k

11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

LMAO:cheesy:

12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid