when to start

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by 1dave, Feb 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 1dave

1dave Astrea Snail

hello im working on putting together my first reef 120gal it wont be together for 6 months or so my brother has giving me about 40 pounds of base rock and my ? is should i put it in something to get it going will be using nothing but base when i do get everything gathered up to get started thanks for all your help dave

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Im sorry but I dont understand your Q

4. 1dave

1dave Astrea Snail

my thought was to put it in a rubbermaid and try to turn it to live rock so latter i could seed the rest of my tank latter . if this can be done should i start it now or latter when im closer to having my tank ready thank you

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If its clean and safe ? It will culture and acquire the necessary bacteria and will turn to live rock in the aquarium as you cycle the system.

6. Grotto

Grotto Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I'd keep it as base rock, once your tank is up and running and once your water parameters are right it will come to life. Plus it'll be a great indicator that you have a healthy stable system when the rock comes to life before your very eyes.

7. Kas

Kas Bristle Worm

Cook it first! Right Otty? Kas

8. Click Here!

9. illushinz

illushinz Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

So is there a specific rock type to use as base? Is it something you have to get from your lfs?

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I'd bleach soak it first if it where me unless I knew it was clean and very white had been setting dry for a very long time to ensure all bacteria and or critters and alagae with in and outside this rock was long dead and now dust..

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Base rock is just old Lime based stone or old dead long buried coral reefs are dug up like what all of The East coast of the USA sets on as well as most of the mid west from Idaho and on down to Texas.. All was a ocean reef at some point.. Florida is the place I always picked mine up .. Look around you can find it locally sometimes from a quarry. But not any buried rock will do.. Be careful. Never use Lava rock.. Carriba Sea has started to offer it and there where a few online people who used to ship it all over the States.. Its all I have ever used.. hell I'd never pay good money for wet rock that are alive with more then I'd want to add to my systems critters and disease and bacteria. Nope not me.