when to let go?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by newguy420, May 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. newguy420

newguy420 Skunk Shrimp

I've had a goniopora for about 3 or 4 months now. It isn't completely dead but it isnt even reaching anymore. The longest it will extend is maybe an inch. I've been feeding a variety of foods, mostly cyclops. I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and get rid of it?

2. Click Here!

3. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

i just threw mine out when it started turning into a skeleton. It really made my tank look bad and took up alot of real estate!!!

4. rdevault0121

rdevault0121 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

never give up on anything until it is completely dead try new approaches and ideas

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

That's good ideologically, but practically, I need to agree with the others. If it's on it's way, there is almost nothing you can do.

6. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

I would keep trying. I would do as much research as possible and try to place it somewhere else, feed it different things. I am still trying to get my monti to recover, in some areas it doesnt look to good but I did see some polyp extension today, first time in a while. To me unless it is a skeleton there is some hope.

7. map95003

map95003 Bubble Tip Anemone

goniopora are hard to keep, most times when they are on their way out there is a slim chance of recovery...but keep trying, you may be lucky. I had a piece of orange monti cap that turned white, I thought about tossing it, it fell on the sand bed and I left it there for about 5 months...one day I was scraping the glass and notice a bit of color so I picked it up....now it's the brightest coral in my tank and has grown at least 10x the original size.

8. Click Here!

9. mcallahan

mcallahan Astrea Snail

I agree on keep trying till its 100% gone. I've found pieces of SPS in my sump and they looked like hell, but after nursing them back to life, they are great pieces.

You might try moving it around your tank to another lighting/flow area if you haven't tried that already.

10. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

phew I thought this was a euthanasia thread, I would say just leave it in and monitor it. It most likely will not spring back like other corals, but you never know.