When to add live rock?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Steelers, Apr 27, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Steelers

Steelers Astrea Snail

The owner of my LFS said for me to add my sand, then fill my tank with water, and let it run for a few days, and then add the live rock. Is that a good way to do things? Also, how much water should I fill the tank with, if I am going to add live rock? Should I fill up all 55 gallons, then just take whatever amount out when I purchase the live rock?

Also, since their is nothing in the tank, is it alright to mix the salt in the tank? :confused:

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I filled my tank with RO/DI water, then salt, then sand, then rock;D

If you already have sand in it, the salt may not mix properly so I would mix the salt water then add to tank.

You could do a little less water if you wanted to save on salt, as long as the system can run with low water level. Of course, now is a great time to fill up and check for leaks, etc.:)

4. Steelers

Steelers Astrea Snail

Thanks Birdlady. I still haven't took down my fresh yet, so I've yet to add the sand. I am taking my black piranha to my LFS, then taking down and cleaning the tank. Once cleaned, I'll add the water, then salt, then turn on the Emp 400, and my powerhead. How long do you think it will take for the salt to mix? If I let the salt mix Thursday night, do you think I can add the sand Fri afternoon?

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Yup! Salt should be mixed in a few hours.;D

Since you are just beginning, have you given thought to your water supply? RO/DI would be the best way to go. Are you planning for that?

The sand will make a mess and you need to rinse it really well if it is dry sand. It will take a day or two to clear up so plan for that also.:)

1 person likes this.
  6. Steelers

Steelers Astrea Snail

I have 100lbs of sand. I put some of the sand in a clean bucket, fill it with water, move the sand around, and then dump the water out. I did that about 7 times for each bucket of sand. The first 1-2 buckets the water is real milky, after about 7-8, the water is still somewhat cloudy, but not crystal clear. It seems I can't get it anymore clear than that. Is that pretty normal?

As for the water, I was going to buy an RO/DI unit, but just can't afford it right now. I am doing a FOWLR tank, and the owner of my LFS store said I don't have to have one unless I plan on keeping corals. Down the road I want to keep 2 Clownfish, a Yellow Tang, and maybe a couple of other small fish with some snails and crabs, with 50lbs of live rock. Do you think that would work with out a RO/DI unit?

I know algae will grow if you don't use RO/DI water, but is there any kind snails I can add to take away some of the algae? Also, isn't there something I can add to the Emp 400 media cartrige to take out some of the phosphorous? Thanks.

1 person likes this.
  7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Karma for your birthday Steeler! :):party014::wave:

8. Click Here!

9. seawillow

seawillow Coral Banded Shrimp

When setting up a tank, I've done it 3 times now for myself..and once helping a friend...I've always made up my salt water in a barrel ahead of time. I use a heater and a power head to make sure temp and salinity is correct before using the new water. I've put sand in the tank, then added water (if you put a large plate of some sort or bucket cover in to pour water on, you get less of a sand storm) then added my rock. It hard to say how much water to add as your rock will take up some of the volume. I usually fill tank half full and then go from there. Good luck!

10. gabe

gabe Astrea Snail

Why not just buy the saltwater?

gabe

11. seawillow

seawillow Coral Banded Shrimp

You can buy salt water...the Petco near me sells it...but at $10.99 for 5 gallons...if you have a big tank, that can get pricey...this hobby is pricey enough!