When to add corals?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by VPBassist, Sep 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. VPBassist

VPBassist Bristle Worm

I have a 40b tank with 50lbs of dry rock and 25lbs of play sand. I have a Coralife Super Skimmer 65 and 2 Aqueon 500gph pumps making a total of 1350gph in the tank. I have the tank at 80 degees and a salinity of 1.024.

I know, fish-wise, I want two false-percula clowns and I was thinking about an orchid dottyback and a cherub angelfish or a flame angelfish but those aren't set in stone yet.

For corals, my dream would be to have pulsing xenia, birdsnest, green slimer acro, a war or open brain coral, and hammer coral. I would also like to add either a bubbletip anenome or a colorful mini-carpet.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I am of the belief that you can add most soft corals and some lps to a newly cycled tank as long as you do routine water changes and watch the typical basic levels.

For sps I would wait until you see a good sustained growth of coralline algae, may happen in 3 months may happen in 6 months. You need consistent parameters over ideal parameters IME and IMO.

Lastly decide what type of corals you favor at this point, do not try to mix a bunch of different corals types cultivated or harvested from a bunch of different geographical areas. It may work out just fine, but it is harder to balance in the long run.

4. xpand

xpand Flamingo Tongue

I like the way you think! My thought is that If the coraline algae is already spreading and others I have talked to are in 9 to 14 months with no Coralline developing. Other than one Anemone moving under a rock when the lights come on. They both seem to be doing great! So far that is.