When Caulerpa Strikes

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Matt Rogers, Sep 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Indeed. It got me a little crazed in fear. It was like I was fighting zombies with the hammer. :)

It's only a ~30 gallon tank, but trust me... sometimes I miss my old Kole Tang.

I think I've had that nightmare.

You know, I tried to get a healthy Tuxedo a year or two back. They are hard to get around my neck of the woods. Only one store near me gets them and when they do, they blow out the door. I might pursue this again. Thanks for the reminder.

Oh my sorry to hear that. Perhaps you can sell it as fish food for Tangs! :p

2. Click Here!

3. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i was having a problem with a vine that came into my tank on a coral. after research i believe its a form of caulrepa, i knew i should have pulled the coral till i got this vine off of it , but i didn't listen to myself. well the vine took over in a short time. i pulled rocks scrubbed them, well the ones i could pull and get back together as they were and it just keeps coming back. well 3 urchins from live aquaria and they are mowing the vine down. I'm amazed at how much these little critters eat in the way of algae. my rocks look cleaner than they have in a long time. not just the vine is being eaten, the dirty look the rocks had is also almost gone. i figure as long as they are in there they won't let that vine take over, since I'm sure there is spots they can't reach :(
    i didn't notice the tuxedo's being listed as caulrepa eaters. so i would wonder if they do eat it or if different urchins eat different algae. i can tell you the two types of urchins i purchased, are both eating what ever the vine is in my tank

Attached Files:

• vine.jpg
      vine.jpg
      File size:
      375.1 KB
      Views:
  4. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

:victory:LMAO can I put this is my sig or funny quotes collection?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  5. psiclone

psiclone Purple Spiny Lobster

Sounds like someone has been playing too much Dead Island.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Sure. :)

Sigh I wish. Those days are long gone. :p

I'll have to check in on the tank tonight and sweep for caulerpa.

matt

7. heidimi

heidimi Fire Shrimp

Shhhh... Don't tell anyone.. but, I wish my tangs would just leave a bit of it here and there. The flat leaf stuff is so pretty. I had it in my 35 hex when I first started a reef tank. HOLY SMOKES did I ever get crap for that... people were like "Take it out before it eats your children!!" ;) lol When I got my big tank I transfered all the rock including that covered one there in the picture. within a few weeks of my "tang gang" it was gone :( I love green I think I need to do a freshwater planted for this reason. Its much more PC to have green in a fresh tank. BUT for the record this stuff plus cheato pulls the nitrates and phosphates out of the water leaving beautiful colored acros in its aftermath. Just different view point is all...
    PS anyone can send me their rocks for my tangs to clean, they need snacks :)

Heidi

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    yes that cheato in the DT.. I had no sump, broke all the rules back then hehe