When can I add an anemone?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Kadoogen, Aug 19, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Well if they have resided in an a BTA before chances are good there will be no issue with that.

There are some absolutely stunning BTA's to choose from now a days. You're an experienced hobbyist that ask the right questions I am sure you'll do fine. Just make sure coloring is right, the anemone is not a recent clone and you cover your power heads until the anemone finds it's sweet spot. It's been my experience that it's easier to get the anemone and let it wander until it finds it's spot and then add the majority of your corals.

2. Click Here!

3. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

4. Kadoogen

Kadoogen Flamingo Tongue

That was my plan Corailline. I wanted to make sure he didn't clobber anything. I had a nice rasta colony he park right next to and i was rather upset to say the least lol

Civic I have a Radion G2 pro. I have it set at 40% intensity so I think I should have good ramp up potential.

5. quyvan5186

quyvan5186 Plankton

I have 2 currently in my 40gal. Listen to everyone as they state that 1 year is a good rule of thumb. New tank syndrome will happen to the best of us. My first nem died after adding it 4 months in (have no idea why, params were perfect). Got the 2 BTA after the 1 year mark and they are thriving. STABILITY is key!

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I have had so many BTA's over the years I have lost count, and honestly I do not think I have ever killed one putting into a tank less then 6 months old. Granted I am not a new hobbyist but I feel this 6 month and 1 year marks are just arbitrary numbers.

While I do not suggest the more sensitive anemone types for younger tanks, a BTA in tank that is completely cycled and stable less then year old will do fine if you start with a healthy specimen and perform the routine testing and husbandry. Especially if the hobbyist has some experience with saltwater.

It's my opinion that few hobbyist will realistically wait a year to acquire an anemone if that is the type of system they desire. It's better to provide assistance regarding appropriate anemone types and anemone husbandry then to expect a hobbyist to wait a year, few will. If a hobbyist does have the patience to wait a year more power to them, but to successfully keep simple hardy anemone types you do not need to wait a year.

Both tanks less then 6 months old. I am not encouraging new hobbyist to acquire anemones and add them to new systems just providing my personal experience.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Billme likes this.