when base rock becomes live rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Sea Witch, May 11, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sea Witch

Sea Witch Plankton

Courtenay/Comox Valley, Vancouver Island, BC, Cana
    Question:

I understand that after some period of time live rock will bring base rock alive with bacteria. But will other good hitchhikers from the live rock also eventually reproduce and colonize the base rock? Like if the live rock had started with worms, polyps, sponges, etc. Will they migrate to the base rock too?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

bristle worms and pods will multiply and spread to the other rock, and maybe even some sessile inverts like feather dusters. Sponges tend to spread more slowly but it can happen. Polyps will spread to neighboring rock if its close enough for the colony to touch. The only way I can tell the difference between the rock that I purchased as "live rock" and the rock that was started as "base rock" is the structure, density and porosity.

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

And then the hydroids, aptasia, majanos, and gorilla crabs will too! Lol most the 'live rock' people get in the US is 'dry rock' that was dumped into the Gulf west of Florida for matriculating so everything will eventually spread.

5. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

In a few years you won't be able to tell the base rock from the live rock.