When Asterina Starfish Attack

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Matt Rogers, Nov 24, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I know the feeling of being so excited to take a picture that nobody will truly appreciate but you! Awesome sighting!

My harlequin is always in the same spot and right out in front. I don't know if he goes hunting in the night... but if he get's hungry, there's plenty for him. haha

Matt Rogers likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

So true. I look forward to seeing the impact of this little guy. I'll report back.

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I had a large astrina sit on a pavona maldives frag and eat the crap out of it over the coarse of a couple day. Just tonight I was talking to a friend locally who was ordering harliquins to kills his astrina for eating his poccilapora and BN

Matt Rogers likes this.
  5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Update:
    I am seeing new growth on this coral (it's taller) but only bare branches are the ones shown here on the 1st post. This leads me to believe that this was not a coral issue but a hit job.

zesty likes this.
  6. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

7. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I haven't noticed a huge reduction in my star population. I have noticed HarleyQ has shown up in different areas around the tank. Also molted, which I missed, but I heard the fish enjoyed. That would have been a cool molt to see!

Now, one thing I have noticed is all my asterias are on the glass towards the top of the tank. Have they taken note from the lemmings? Are they trying to get to the top to jump out? I say no, you are food! and shove em back down in the tank

8. Click Here!

9. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

I have them and yet to notice an issue. Will have to pay closer attention

10. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Some people have them and have never noticed an issue. I had them for almost 2 years before I found one on a zoa. Now, I find them everywhere on zoas. And I did bring in a lot of zoas in the past few months. I don't know if they would have made it past the bayer dip, but as soon as I saw one directly on the zoa, I knew I had to take action.

Plus, look at how many types of Asternias are out there, they all can't be zoa eaters. I take care of a tank that has 3-4x the amount of zoas I have and he has had stars in his tank since I've known him and his zoas are all just fine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterina_(starfish)