what's your dirty little secret?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by zjpeter, Nov 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

a friend of mine had a saltwater tank. he stocked it with things he found in the Gulf of Mexico. Rock anemones, predatory snails, etc.

They really had no idea what they were doing. But it was fun to check out his tank.

One day, he scooped up a Portuguese Man o War from the beach in a cooler and dumped it in the tank.

Not sure how long it lived, but it lived at least a month that I am aware of. He went and got some Chromi's and other bait type fish and put in the tank.

Watching the man o war catch these fish was amazing. Right then I decided I wanted an ocean tank.

Upon research, I learned how really, well, irresponsible his tank was and I'm the type, if I'm going to do something, I try to do it right.... that lead me to corals.

I love my coral tank.

2. Click Here!

3. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

i love saltwater. i like the smell and the reefs. i wish i could live underwater so i could have the biggest fish tank ever.

peredhil and i are gonna step out of the room for a sec.... i still cant believe you got into this hobby after you hate saltwater...

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

:laughy:

it is odd. i do admit that.

5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

That's going too far!

Aquarium reefs do look much better than the real thing though. When they rock scaped the oceans it must of still been cloudy from adding sand;)

1 person likes this.
  6. Jim522

Jim522 Purple Spiny Lobster

Wow. I thought I was the only one, Peredhil
    Not only do I hate actual saltwater and own a saltwater tank, I also live in S. Florida, water is literally 2 minutes from my house. I've also been in the marine industry since I was 16. Working on and selling boats. The majority of my day at work is on a boat. And I hate saltwater. Weird. It freaks me out, the smell, the feeling of it on my skin. I would rather die than have to spend a day at the beach. Saltwater and sand stuck all over you...gross.

7. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

I kind of agree with Peredhil. I hate the smell of saltwater and I am actually terrified of water. Lakes, ponds, oceans, puddles....Im scared of it all. I refuse to go on boats and I've never been to the beach, although I'd like to go at least once just to say I've been. After reading up on so many different parasites and pests, I'm very scared to even step on sand barefoot.
    Although I do disagree that real reefs are boring. I think they're....magical for lack of a better word.
    I do have three variations of a skin condition called Keratosis pilaris (both Abra (no irritation) and Rubra (irritation and painful)) and Keratosis pilaris rubra faceii that my tank really irritates and it causes it to become extremely comfortable...I have to wash my skin immediately after I come in contact with my tank and I have to slather on oills and creams.

8. Click Here!

9. WuWu

WuWu Feather Star

I just hate the ocean , It freaks me out tide comes in ... i get outta dodge >,<
    I supose i just dont like water when i cant see the bottom really .. .. .. giant tadepoles ... they are out there and they are hungry !

10. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

I have kids yet I stay up late at night drinking beer and playing video games...
    Not so dirty and not so secret..:beer:

More dirty and more secret would be the fact that I secretly jam out to Hall and Oates' Private Eyes but usually get caught doing it..

11. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Well, this isn't a dirty little secret, but I'm chiming in on the ocean topic.

I love the beach. I love saltwater. I love freshwater. I love being on or in either of them. I'm perfectly at home on a boat pitching and yawing like crazy in rough seas, and I have never been sea sick in my life. We had our reef tank a few months before I went on a week long diving trip of diving the Bahamas and living on a sailboat for 5 days. It was absolutely amazing for me to see some corals and fish I recognized swimming around in the wild. I would love to dive the Great Barrier Reef, because the Caribbean's got nothin' on that as far as corals and fish go.

My favorite type of diving would have to be wreck diving though. The most advanced wreck dive I've been on was at a 160+ foot long cargo ship in 90 feet of water. The current was pretty strong, but in a sense that made enjoying the ship even more. Old railings and ladders, even though they're covered in barnacles and animal things underwater, still make perfect hand holds ;)

My mom grew up in Miami and Puerto Rico (no she's not Puerto Rican), and we've been going to the beach and going fishing for as long as I can remember. I love the smell of saltwater and the beach, and the sand in my toes :) The smell was one thing that made working at the Tennessee Aquarium fun; I kept having dive trip flashbacks :D

I'm known to snorkel even on public beaches where it's just sand. I'll kick out to 8-15 feet of water and find stuff (my free diving record is 45 feet, but I don't have alot of opportunities to break it...). I'm sure if people knew what I've seen only a few feet out in their public beaches, they'd be scared of that beach for life. Crabs, stingrays, all sorts of larger fish like huge schools of mackeral (sp?). Next time I see a pile of rocks out snorkeling, I'm looking for some mantis :lol:. My mom and I even had a remora come up to our kayak when we took a "kayak" (sit on top) out at the beach.

12. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I have a bad habit of banging my head to music I'm listening too going down the road. I have seen people look at me funny at stop lights.... That's when I add about 30db's to what I am listening to.....:guitarist:wacko::drummer::hothead: