what's wrong?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by loyongbo, Mar 28, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

For a small tank with soft corals no a skimmer is not mandatory.

I would be more concerned about your current parameters: Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. Without those values it's impossible to rule out news tank syndrome as the problem with your leather.

I would do a water change with completely mixed SW at the correct SG. Improve flow and test for the parameters listed above.

If you have T5 lighting that should enough for a leather coral.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

for a small tank like yours no, a skimmer is not needed (though it always help IMO) as long as you keep up with your water changes, t5 is a good cheap light as long as you have at least 2-4 of them, if the tank has been running for 2 months thats also good. i would do a 50% water change add some more flow and see how it reacts. when did you add this coral?

4. loyongbo

loyongbo Plankton

i added it last week, today i put it in a better flow area and white stuff(maybe it's flesh) started to come out

5. loyongbo

loyongbo Plankton

what kind of lighting would you recommend?

6. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

She meant should be enough. T-5 lighting is great. I think you need more flow and to check your parameters

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes yes.

Need more caffeine prior to posting. T5 should be sufficient sorry.::)

8. Click Here!

9. loyongbo

loyongbo Plankton

it's fine :)))) t5 is really expensive here in thailand, is there a cheaper alternative?

10. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Can't imagine Thailand being much different, but here in the U.S., T5 is the cheapest with initial cost.

I agree with Corailline- we really need parameters to determine the problem. Does sound like new tank syndrome to me. Exactly how did you cycle your tank? If you did not add a source of ammonia, it may not have cycled at all.