what's wrong?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by loyongbo, Mar 28, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. loyongbo

loyongbo Plankton

this is my finger leather coral which i recently bought a few days ago, is it sick? if it is, what can i do to make it better? it's placed on a piece of live should i move it to somewhere else?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Jason04r

Jason04r Bristle Worm

I dont think you have enough flow to be honest. wheres the flow coming from?

4. loyongbo

loyongbo Plankton

it's coming from the powerheead ;)

5. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

The tank looks cloudy, what type of lighting do you have and what are the parameters?

6. Jason04r

Jason04r Bristle Worm

Looks like its a pump rather than the normal powerheads.

Did you manage to take some readings?

7. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

How long has the tank been setup? It looks like a new setup.

8. Click Here!

9. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

there is a small power head on the top left of the tank, i would agree it does look like a very new set up. only way to know whats wrong would be to test your water and give us your parameters (oh ohhhh dont have test kits? thats a no no!) go get it tested at your LFS or get strip tests as bare minimum (drops are far more accurate) but if something is drastically wrong with your water the strips should pick it up. you want to find out what your NH4 no3 and salinity is at the very least (just in case salinity can not be tested with strips.....:S you need a refractometer for accurate readings)

10. loyongbo

loyongbo Plankton

i unfortunately only have a refractometer :cry: my lfs doesn't sell test kits (this is thailand)

11. loyongbo

loyongbo Plankton

it's been setup for 2 months almost 3 now ;D

12. loyongbo

loyongbo Plankton

it's been setup for almost three months now, i don't know the english name of of it but it's a thai brand called T5. the guy at my lfs said i need t5 lighting, is there any cheaper lighting options available for a reef tank? and sorry to change the subject but is a skimmer really necessary?