Whats wrong with my zoa?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by nanomania, Mar 3, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

I can arrange for lugols, but rest of the stuff is not available in my country india. I did fw dip again yesterday. Will i ever be able to keep zoas in my tank if i remove these? Though ill do lugols with fw dip again.

2. Click Here!

3. dacianb

dacianb Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Nudi eggs are not affected by anything (freshwater or chemicals). You have to dip corals every few days for next weeks to get rid of all newborns nudies.
    If you have UV lights, just turn those ON and will see the eggs popping out on zoas.

nanomania likes this.
  4. nanomania

Will have to arrange for uv light. Will i ever be able to keep zoas in this tank?

5. dacianb

dacianb Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

the violet lights are quite normal in decent LED fixtures. It is not necessary to see the eggs, but once you have nudies, for sure you have eggs too.

One of my zoa colony recovered after nudi infection and dripped for 3 weeks every other day. Of course you can keep zoas as long as you eradicate nudies. Anyway, even if you dont do anything all nudies will die soon after eating all your zoas. They cannot eat anything else and just starve in time.

013.JPG

nanomania likes this.
  6. nanomania

I guess ill try for a month. They wont hurt my palys or gsp right?

7. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Curious as to what those "sacs" are???

mdbostwick likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

+1

10. Eco Marine Reef

Eco Marine Reef Astrea Snail

dacinab.. that is interesting about the UV lights. I have never heard of this before in relation to the nudibranch eggs. You're talking about the UV lights within a lighting fixture and not a UV sterilizer correct?

As other's have stated you will definitely need to dip several times to eradicate the eggs. Also, be sure to look along your rock work for wandering nudi's as they will search high and low for another zoanthid colony to attack. For the most part, the eggs will be localized within the polyp colonies themselves. So no need to really worry about that.

Nanomania, you stated you have palys in your tank too? As most classifications of coral are weak at best, I would dip your palys too (dip them in a separate mixture to avoid cross contamination). Many LFS will classify zoanthids as palys and visa versa. It is very easy to just lump them in together as they look very very similar. If you are looking to completely eradicate these pests, it is best to dip all your polyps (zoa and palys) in separate mixtures. Better yet, you could start a small quarantine tank just for your polyps. This will allow you to closely monitor each colony for a period of time (I would recommend a month or so) before placing them back into your display.

If you are diligent about dipping your coral and physically removing the wandering nudibranchs, I would say you will have no problem keeping zoas or palys in your display. Just say on top of your dips and keep a watchful eye out for the next month or so. These pest can be handful, but a little patience and due diligence goes a long way.

Keep us posted as to your success!

11. Eco Marine Reef

Eco Marine Reef Astrea Snail

Also keep in mind that these nudibranchs are going to be more active at night, so it might be best to hunt for these guys after your lights are off. Happy hunting and good luck!

nanomania likes this.
  12. nanomania

Well i dont have space for qt, but 2ice i did fw dip, and the zoas looked better for a few days.. ill continue fw dips for some time and see or will remove all zoas and wont add any zoa for a month. The paly is doing jus fine... jis have 1 polyp which came with zoa.