What's wrong my Frogspawn?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Jacwil, Sep 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jacwil

Jacwil Coral Banded Shrimp

Here is a pic from the awesome LFS that I got it at...some may recognize the place. Anyways I got it out of the tanks in the foreground. You can see lighting..think they are MH but not sure.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

WOW, that's an awesome looking LFS... mine are all the craps when it comes to coral... jealous me.

I agree with Walker on this... move it and see what happens... note it may take a day or two (or three) before any change becomes apparent.

It's good to get a plethora of opinions because they differ greatly... They can definitely take a lot of light, but as Walker alludes to, they can't take a giant increase in light suddenly.

From your pic, it looks like I can see a lot of skeleton on the "closed" heads... I have seen that before when too much directed flow essentially rips the coral from its skeleton over a few days.

Even in the pic of the LFS, that doesn't tell us if it was shaded at all or the PAR value of their lights or anything...

You'll have to experiment, but keep it towards the bottom... When I see a closed up head, I think light, when I see skeleton on a few heads, I think the flow is too much in that one spot. Because of your rock layout, the main open head and the closed heads may as well be a mile apart when it comes to something as erratic as flow...

good luck.

4. Jacwil

5. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

Im gonna say those heads look toast. I have not had the best of luck with 2 Hammers (similar to frog though) What I learned after having 2 receed and die like yours is.

1. You must position it where it is happy. Start in a low flow and observe. Mine like gentle flow. I have one that has made 3 new heads since Ive had it. If it receeds into the skeleton and you can see skeleton....Ive never had one recover from that just died after a few days and left me a nice exo :)

Im also using 2 icecap 250watt DE metal halides over my 75g tank.

6. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

Yep, I recognize that LFS ;D

I know that they keep all their corals under MH's with no shade - I do not know their PAR levels or what bulbs they use.

I have a hammer - and experienced something similar. When I upgraded to my current tank, I also went from t5's to MH and added a couple more powerheads. It became very, very unhappy, looked a alot like yours but with only 2 heads. Moved it SEVERAL times, until I finally found a place with the right amount of light and flow. It is finally starting to come back and it has been about a month of TLC, but was able to save both heads.

7. Jacwil

Excellent...I should add that the LFS said he wasn't sure what happened to the the 2 hds in the middle...they were toast when I purchased it, but the outer heads were fine. He thought that maybe the center hds were damaged in transport to their lfs. I have placed them on a rock on the bottom under the rock a bit...just so odd that the one side is fine and full.

8. Click Here!

9. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

just bring it to a real tank and it should be fine.....(aka mine)

10. Jacwil

Stay away Phil!!!:whip:

1 person likes this.
  11. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

im just saying :) ps ik u lost ur zoas ill replace for ya ps that stupid clown tang died......stupid CF, im ordering one from MO

12. Jacwil

WHAT?!?!? That Clown died?!?!? Don't blame CF...you should have let me hang onto it.;D