What's up?

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Steve Goldsmith, Jan 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

I bought the 36" version of this light from the LFS. It's a decent light for the price. The one complaint I have about it is the moon lights can't be turned off without turning the the entire fixture off and resetting the internal clock.
    I'm not sure about the specifics behind actinics. Someone more experienced will have to chime in on that subject.

2. Click Here!

3. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

Great price for Metal Halide. Too bad they are PC combo fixtures instead of T5. My experience with PC has not been the greatest.

4. Steve Goldsmith

Steve Goldsmith Fire Shrimp

[​IMG]

I think I would have to go with the metal halide. Either that or make it a marine tank; maybe just have non photosynthetic corals instead. This is of course only if I can't return the hood and bulbs. The hood is in great condition, but I already made plastic cutouts for the filter. Would this count as physical damage? The warranty doesn't cover physical damage. I paid about $100 for it, it'd be a waste if I can't get my money back for a MH.

5. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

You could grow anything you wanted to with a Metal Halide fixture :). As far as returning the hood, I suppose it depends on the store you got it from and the clerk doing the return.

If you bought the filter new, hang on to the receipt as well. You may want to get a protein skimmer instead.

6. Steve Goldsmith

Im definitely aiming for a protein skimmer. The place where I bought the hood was Petsmart; they seem to be pretty lenient about returns. As you said, I hope to get a lax clerk. The filter was a part of the deal of Craigslist! I got the tank, stand, filter, net, water purifier, decorations, etc... everything but light and hood. If anything, I could have only fish up until my birthday, then ask for a MH. Then afterwards purchase coral. I'm going to college in two years; don't want to splurge too much. ;)

7. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

I would try the t5s vs the metal halides and on aqua traders you can get a good fixture for cheep and thats all you would need for a 55. you could do two or 4 bulbs and that would be alot for a 55 IMO.

heres the link T5 High Output

8. Click Here!

9. rc_mcwaters3

Also the filter is good and will do ok for awile but i would look into custimizing the filtr you hsve now of try snd mske sn overflow snd sump.

10. Steve Goldsmith

I was looking at the deal of the week, and look at what popped up! I think I'll get the Odyssea T5 High Output Lighting . Its a great deal. :) As for filtration, How does this sound; Im not sure if I'll do a sump but heres what I want: a hang-on refugium w/ skimmer, An Aquaclear 110, and maybe some type of canister? I'm looking into the Eheim 2262, but thats a bit expensive.

11. rc_mcwaters3

I have a Ehiem 2213 canister on my 20 gallon and hate it... worst money ever spent. The aqua clear would brobly be all you needed and sound fantastic if you dont want to do the sump.

12. rc_mcwaters3

I am getting the same light for my 75 galllon and agree thsst thst would be s good choice. :)