what's up people, 1st Tank, 1st Post!

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by soulfish, Dec 1, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

I research the PC Moon Lite and I think it has (4) 64 Watt Bulbs which is only 3.46 Watts per gallon. If you want corals and PC lighting I would recommend you find one with (4) 96 Watt Bulbs which would give you 5.12 Watt per Gallon. The lighting is the most expensive part of my set up, plus you also have to calculate replacing the bulbs in your budget.

I am sorry, Maxi Jet is the type I use, so far no complaints. My set up I us in a 65 Gallon is two Maxi Jet 600 in each corner pointed toward the center to cause turbulence, a Bak Pak Protein Skimmer with the discharged aimed at the back of the tank, and a carbon filter which also discharges along the back. This works good for my set up but you may want to add an addition Power Head(s) since your tank is longer then mine, mine is only 36”. Also I have heard nothing but good things about the Berlin Protein Skimmers.

Also a good book is “The New Marine Aquarium” the “The Reef Aquarium Vol 1and 2” are great books, but very in-depth.

Another question is what is more important Fish or Coral. I only have 3 small fish in my tank and only plan on adding one more, where the coral will be the main focus of my tank. If I had a bigger budget I would also like to start a fih tank, but budget restraints are an issue. Finding out what is compatible with what is an important issue to learn, and can be frustrating at first.

2. Click Here!

3. verbal

verbal Astrea Snail

Hey soulfish, I've got paired MaxiFlow 1200s (one on each side). No complaints so far. They point in toward the middle of the tank from each side. In addition, I've got a Powersweep along the back wall for added turbulence. I'm also thinking about a SCWD.

As far as the lights go, I've got the CSL PC w/moonlight (4x64 watts). Theres a few posts on the forums here about them. I think these lights would be good for you (again, as stated by others, depending on what you want in the tank). You can always add a metal halide in front of them if you want in the future; your tank is wide enough for that.

I, too, am running two smaller heaters rather than a single larger one. Really, this is just peace of mind for about $30.

Lastly, have fun with this. It's almost as much fun to windowshop for things as it is to watch your tank!

4. soulfish

soulfish Plankton

[glow=red, 2, 300]First off , Just got back from my local PS. Country Critters in Patchauge L.I. If any body live in the New York area ya need ta get ya self down there and check out their Reef Tanks !! Their :-X sick....better then sea world !![/glow]
    Guys I think I'm going to go with the PCCSML . First off I dont have the cash to dish out for the big daddy lights, second off when I way it out , I dont got the $$ for the Big Corals if I had the light , third I dont think I'm ready for the big corals right now. That makes cents, right ??
    Bought the pluming for the over flow. Ouch $60 for some tubes :eek: .
    Bought a book too. Aquarium Corals by Eric h. Borneman. Very nice, the dude from the shop spoke high about it.
    Should I buy my Sump or try to make it ? I was going to buy it today but held off..
    Any yo's live on L.I.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Making a >>> sump <<< click here, is not that hard and will save you a few nickels. I don't live in L.I. but I used to live in Manhattan long time ago on the East side.

Thanks for joining 3reef!

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Were is L.I. is that Long island?

J

7. seawillow

seawillow Coral Banded Shrimp

Must be Long Island, I'd guess...long way from YOU...wow!!

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Man oh man that's a huge Avatar Seawillow

10. Guest

Guest Guest

yup. Long Island "AKA Strong Island" Look on a map and I'm the Eastern most point of Long Island, Montauk . I practicaly live in the ocean. I would highly recomend a trip out if ya ever get the chance. Unreal diving, great Point Break, beutiful beaches.

11. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

soulfish, im doing a roadtrip with a couple of buddys to manhattan and they wouldnt mind to stop and take a look. please recomend me some places worth stopping and looking.
                                Thanx Joe

12. soulfish

soulfish Plankton

Joe
    First and formost, ya need to head right out to the Montauk Light House , look up on the web to just see some pics...Dont just get out of your car and look at the light house, take your time and tweak out a little. Head over to the north side, theres usualy Harbor seals over there depending on what time of the year your going ? Take in mind this is allmost 2 hours from the city !
    Theres a great Maritime Museum in Ammagansit.
    [glow=red, 2, 300]Ya got to stop at my brothers Surf Shop !!!!!!!!! Earthly Soul[glow=red, 2, 300].. Ya cant miss it its on the corner of south edison street right in town.[/glow]Theres alot of cool sh$# to see ya just need to know where to look. when were you trippen ?