Whats this?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by desmo900rider, Mar 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. desmo900rider

desmo900rider Astrea Snail

This algae (I think) is popping up pretty quickly on my glass, like when I clean it, it's back a day or 2 later. Light brown in color, this is the best pic I could get of it. Can anybody tell me what it is/how to get rid of it?

Tank is: 90 gallon FOWLR, 30 gallon sump/fuge, fuge has 3" sand bed with LR/rubble/chaeto, skimmer. No sunlight hits the tank, I have two T5s, on antic and one white HO (not sure on temp, bought it used)

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

how long has the tank been up? livestock? lighting schedule?

4. desmo900rider

desmo900rider Astrea Snail

Bought the tank used, it was set up live for 2+ years when I bought it. Tore it down, took everything including 95% of the water with me, and set it back up and kept everything alive. That was about 2+ weeks ago. So, previous owner had 2-3 years, I've had about 2-3 weeks. Lights are on 10 hrs/day. Fish and inverts seems happy.

5. K3rack

K3rack Peppermint Shrimp

Look like my back wall. I always thought they were pods, am I wrong? I hope mine (and yours) are!

6. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

im not sure because they are so small, but if you say its brown and its coming abck as quick as you wipe it and judging by the shape, im tempted to say its the start of a dinoflagellates bloom.

Can say for certain tho.