What's this stuff coming from my Frogspawn?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by GuitarMan89, Jan 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

There is this white, stringy stuff coming from my frogspawn. It only appears towards the evening, after the daylight bulbs have gone out. It appeared last night too. Is the coral expelling waste? Or is it expelling the bacteria(?) that makes food? Here are some pics, sorry for the bad quality. I will try to get some better ones once my camera battery charges. Also, it does not appear to be coming from the mouth, but from the tentacles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I'll need to see clearer pictures but it's probably just mucus.

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

here are some clearer pics. A lot of it has been taken off in the current, so I'm thinking it may just be mucus. I recently added a sump and stressed my tank out, the corals are just starting to come back. There pics were taken with the lights off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I can't see very well from the picture, it may be zooxanthellae being released from it though!

6. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

When mine is pissed off by something, scared, etc. it will release some slime. Some corals do this as a defensive mechanism. For example, my decorator crab decided he was going to pinch a tentacle to see if he could put it on one of his legs. The frogspawn head wilted a bit and some mucus showed up shortly thereafter - same if I stir up the tank cleaning it. Clears up quickly.

By the way, can't see the pics too good. Mine are just small stringers of mucus coming off, and only when there's a disturbance - is it stringy, and whitish, or is it colored and coat the entire coral?

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Mine has done this too. If distressed, it does slime. Don't know what it happening, but you are not alone. It will get back to normal.

8. Click Here!

9. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Ha ha - Decorater crabs make me laugh, i'd like to get one but im just worried it would snip something to death, and they are large espec for my 31G

10. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Yep it's normal for frogspawn. Ours was slimin' away when we brought it home from the LFS. He had a rough day...he was fragged right there in the store, glued to a rock, 10 minutes later sent out the door of the store for a 20 minute car ride only to float in a bag for 45 minutes.