What's the fastest spreading corals?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by snooopidydoo, Nov 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. snooopidydoo

snooopidydoo Coral Banded Shrimp

Want to set up a big tank, and raise some different coral frags, and see if there's money to be made by playing around. Mushrooms, polyps, forgspawns, anything and everything how long and how much do these spread? or reproduce?

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

bye the time you break profit ie pay for your tank and Equiptment starter colonies/frags
    you might aswell set up a display and eventualy sell the fags from your tank unless of coures you are willing to shell out to set up a all out grow out tank

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

they don't really grow fast enough for you to make a profit unless your a huge company then possibly.

5. snooopidydoo

Well i have my display tank. (i dont have a ton of money) but im building a grow setup out of some left over stuff i have. All i should have to buy is some new lights, and a protein skimmer. I just want to do this to occupy my time, and so i can make a little cash back in the process. found some people in my area selling some frags out of there tank, thinking ill stick them in my tank intell i get the grow tank going..

I know i wont get rich doing this haha.. but it beats sitting around

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

usually people end up selling frags when they realize a coral has become to big for what they want in there tank. but if this is just for fun you can try kenya tree or gsp.

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

xenia and gsp both grow fast, but their not worth that much, Tangster sells gsp for $5 a tile. What might work better in the long run is acquiring some rarer corals such as blastos, certain zoas, etc. For example, some acan frags are going for $80 or more depending on the number of polyps and color. Not only are they more valuable, but will also be in higher demand. If you are doing it just to make money, this may be the way to go.

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

+1.
    And unless your doing this in bulk with a large supply, you're not really going to be making much. My display tank is also my frag/growout tank. While I dont make any money, I havent paid for fish food or additional corals since I started, just from trades and store credit with my frags. Plus it's fun to frag, and watch your own corals grow. Then go trade 'em ;D
    For me, the fastest growing coral by far has been my pink gloves. The pulsating xenia grows fast too; my small frag has almost doubled in size in a little over a week. Green star polyps are fast growers as well. With zoa's and mushrooms, it really seems to depend on the strain, at least for me. Some grow and multiply faster than others.

10. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

i have just began the process of cutting frags from my display due to growth. i got a fairly wide variety of corals and id say the red sea pom pom zenia's spread the fastest. i can scrape a colony of the glass and they will attach to a rock in 48 hrs. you can prob split a stalk in like a week if all is good. they grow these lil buds out the side to let you know to put a rock there and they will spread.

11. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i think most just buy a real big wild coral and cut it into a bunch of small frags and sell for profit.people that actually grow corals just sell frags when the coral gets to big.

12. snooopidydoo

I like the trade idea at LFS. What gave me the idea is i bought a bubble tip nem, and it has split 3 times in the past 4 months, and my fish store gives me $50 a nem.
    The rare corals would be fun to mess with. When i get my tank setup i'll post some pictures, and ideas. Thanks for the input.