What's so special about live rock?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by SammyP, Dec 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Sammy has a good sense of humor, thankfully!

2. Click Here!

3. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

well I have to say Magnus that was an excellent initial reply, and to the O/P what xmetal said is very true- good advice.

But there is something here that has been ignored, and that is: What size of tank you have. The reason I mention this is that this will greatly help determine the amount of live rock you typically would need in a new marine aquarium to get up and running in a quick pace vrs, a slower pace, like many of these folks have running in their set ups- you can never have to much true live rock (for the most part). While "growing" or "acclimating" lace rock or some other type is great, true live rock is always far better and much faster, the only caution is what you might get with the "true" live rock- some critters you simply dont want in your aquarium, so just keep thisin mind if you buy some that you cant see, first hand, in person. :)

4. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

Looks like I missed your welcome thread somewhere so here's mine... some great links at the bottom :jester:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For those of you joining us that are new to the hobby - the best piece of advice you'll get around here as a saltwater newbie is 3Reef's slogan
    "Go slow, let it grow."
    And for those experianced hobbyists joining us - it's still good advice :p
    good luck and post pics soon :)

Here are a few threads for you to read, then come back and ask about anything you still don't understand. we'll get you squared away and on the right path :)

http://www.3reef.com/forums/new-hobby/how-setup-saltwater-aquarium-89044.html

http://www.3reef.com/forums/new-hobby/ultimate-newbie-guide-86462.html

http://www.3reef.com/forums/reef-aquarium-articles-how-tos/all-about-sumps-filters-fuges-79852.html

http://www.3reef.com/forums/protein-skimmers/all-about-skimmers-skimmers-skimmer-85389.html

http://www.3reef.com/forums/general-reef-topics/handy-research-links-89299.html

5. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

I am also a geek for biology :) I went 50/50 lr/dr - Personally I get a kick out of adding a lr piece every so once and awhile. I now have 4+ bristle stars a few purple mushrooms and lots and lots of pods and mysis shrimp. I also have 8 different species of worms so far and a few dusters.

On the bad side I had to kill an aspiasia and got some gha (but the cuc took care of it)

6. brettwest

brettwest Spaghetti Worm

First off let me say to the OP,this is a really good thread.Second,no one mentioned making aragocrete.I have a mixture of live rock base rock and homemade rock.Third,When do we get the fudge?I'll bring milk.

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

"Live" rock implies "perishable". Which costs much more. The rock has to be kept live from harvest to your tank. Much of that biodiversity harvested from the reef does not make it and most of what you buy is bacteria that will colonize anyway. Reef rock is actually very pourous, open and light. But water weighs a lot and when you buy live the majority of weight is water weight.... but all that water weight has to be shipped too and it adds to the cost of getting it to the store.

Hitchhickers though are very good.... or very bad depending what you get. Many people want some critters... many people specifically get dry rock just so they know they will get no pests... an important thing to consider if setting up a large dream tank.

The main purpose for rock is for the bacteria to process the waste in your aquarium. The bacteria will be there wether you start with live or dead. The colony will grow as your livestock and waste stream grows. You could have all live rock from a established tank.... you put 150 lbs in your tank with 3 Damsels.... most of the bacteria will die just because there is no food for them. The colony will only be as large as the supply of food.

Live or dead does not really matter. But one important thing to consider is Reef rock as opposed to "alternatives". Yes you can use Lace rock, Texas Holy, or some concrete based substitute. But honestly, they do not compare to reef rock. The micro and macro pourosity in reef rock is astonishing. Other types of rock can be very decorative and be used to make some cool structures, but personally the majority of my rock would be reef rock live or dead. It ensures the most possible habitat for the most amout of critters.