whats inside corals...

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Dingo, Oct 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

so i was spot feeding my favia today with roe/ fish eggs (Dr. Fragenstein would be happy)

but it looks like when it pulls the food into its mouths that there are worms inside of it eating the food too!? So does anyone know anything about worms?

2. Click Here!

3. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Purple Spiny Lobster

It should be an algae not worm's. They live alot off of the light's so it is an algae inside of them that need's the light source. maybe they just loook like worms. to my understanding they are similiar to dynoflagellates. but thats just something i read.

4. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

They are similar to dynoflagellates. They algae is called zooxanthellae, a flagellate protozoa that uses photosynthesis to help feel the coral and in return get a safe place to live.

5. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I believe they are specialized tentacles and not worms. Somebody posted a time lapse video of coral feeding earlier today. Let me see if I can find it.

1 person likes this.
  6. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

7. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

no no, trust me i know this... i wrote a synopsis of nine articles and over 200 pages and published it on here about how to get the best color out of your zooxanthellae. but thank you tho

8. Click Here!

9. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

yes i saw that movie a few months ago then matt posted it... amazing video!!!

but ok, these things just moved more like worms than tentacles but i guess they could be tentacles... weird!

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

They are called mesenterial filaments. They not only digest food, they also use them to fight with neighboring corals.

11. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

so they are what are usually referred to as the "feeder tentacles" on here

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

they normally remain inside the polyp's gut. Feeder tentacles (as well as sweeper tentacles) are normally outside of the polyp and those are what you see.

http://www.coralcalcium.com/coralpolyp.jpg

2 people like this.