What's Happening ?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by oceansurf, Dec 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tropical Addict

Tropical Addict Bubble Tip Anemone

Agreed with Inwall. Could you post some pictures? You also should test all of your water params as mentioned above. Only testing for salinity & calcium is not going to give you all of the information you need.

2. Click Here!

3. oceansurf

oceansurf Purple Spiny Lobster

So much information & so much varying information.

I dose with 1 /4 tsp of Kent Coral Accel each day. I have also used Liquid Marine Reef in the past, but I use only one @ a time.

It always seems that my coral is bad &, when I dose, it gets worse. Perhaps I should leave it alone & let nature take its course. I do my next water change Saturday. Should I be doing more, trying to get this chemical out of the water ?How many? How often ?

I do a 10% water change weekly.

Like I said. The varying opinions make me wonder just what I should be doing.

I have button coral, frogspawn, Kenya tree frag & a mushroom. I have said this before.

I have been told that I may need more current. The only way I can do that with my little system, is not to fill the tank to the top. I have a cannister filter. That way there is a greater drop between the filter & the water. I also have a small skimmer.

I use a magnet to clean the glass I put no chemicals in the tank...... except fertilizer.

I tested salinity, calcium & nitrates today. The salinity & nitrates were good. The calcium was 360mg/L. I realize this is a bit low.

One person asked me why my coral was dying. If I knew the answer to this I wouldn't be writing.

Have you any suggestions ?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Wait, please explain what you are calling "fertilizer".

5. Tropical Addict

Tropical Addict Bubble Tip Anemone

I think you should stop dosing and let nature do it's thing. I read up on the Kent product you're using and it's recomended for use when one is fragging their corals. All of the corals you have are usually easy to maintain. I would suggest testing all of you params, such as ph among others. If your ph is way off that could be what's killing your corals. If you have any extra money I would suggest buying a test kit so you don't have to have anyone test your water for you. Also, what type of lighting do you have? Again, if you have any pics we could see it may give us an idea of what's wrong. Pictures are always a BIG help.

6. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

I agree with Tropical addict on this one! Stop dosing the Kent coral accel, increase flow with a powerhead, do weekly 10% WC's and let nature take it's course.

As said a few time before, a pic or two would help us all a lot!

7. makeshiftcrew

makeshiftcrew Gigas Clam

Get a koralia 250 nano...perfect for you only puts out 250 gph...and with that and no more dosing nature will run it's course

8. Click Here!

9. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I bet your alkalinity is on the roof!! You stated you're adding 1/4 teaspoon of kent marine coral accel formula. In the formula description it says the following:

Let's give you some advantage and pretend that we didn't read the "1 to 2 tsp per 50 gallons" and that it only states 1 tsp for a 50 gallon, that means that 1/4 teaspoon should be good for a 12.5 gallon tank. You're adding too much of that stuff. So, you're adding enough Coral Accel formula for a 12.5 gallon tank, when you have a 10 gallon tank. Now take Live rock and sand out, you're probably left with 8 gallons of real water, so you're adding 64% more than the recommended dosage. (Somebody check my math, please. I suck at it!)

I would stay away from dosing anything at all. Use a good salt and do several water changes every 2 days until that alkalinity drops. When my alkalinity was too high, my shrooms were very sad looking. If you see them pale, that's the symptom I had with my shrooms. My Frogspawn would not "inflate" all the way as it used to, and the color wasn't as pretty metallic green, but a very pale green instead.

Could you post your water parameters, please? I know you're saying "this is fine, and this other parameter is also awesome" but you're not even once, stating what the parameters are.

If you're missing some test kits to test alkalinity, for example, I recommend you to take a water sample to your LFS and have them test it. Most places will do it for free, or a very nominal fee.

I don't mean to be a rooster, but you're giving me the feeling that you're dodging the questions when they're about measurable parameters. Still, I am confident that if you use a good salt mix, and do several WC's this week and then go to bi-weekly or even monthly WC's your corals will come back. All the ones you mentioned are very hardy and hard to kill. Keep an eye out for the nem. Move it to a different tank or take it to the LFS for them to hold it for a while until your tank gets better. Then if things go south after you re-introduce it, chances are the nem is too big for that tank and it's getting pissed.