What's happening to my Toadstool Leather

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by skennelly, Aug 4, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skennelly

skennelly Coral Banded Shrimp

I don't think I have the snails, at least I can't find any that looked like the parasite type. The coral is doing okay it always has its polyps fully extended, the pictures were taken after I scared it into retracting its polyps.

Could it be splitting? Do toadstools split like that?

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I've never seen a toadstool split like that but that doesn't mean that it's not what's happening to yours. I would only be concerned with it if the tissue started to rot or if the coral stopped extending its polyps. Since it doesn't seem to be snails, I'm not sure what's causing it. I'm assuming that the hole hasn't gotten any bigger?

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

In my old 30 long my toadstoal didn't exactly split - it formed a little teardrop shaped node that eventually fell off and that started a new one.

5. skennelly

I don't think the hole has gotten bigger and it doesn't look like tissue is dieing at all. Just looks like a clean hole, but not all the way through the stalk. I guess if it continues to extend its polyps I won't worry about it, but I will keep an eye on it.

S

6. skennelly

Well, its been a few weeks and I've been keeping and eye on my toadstool. Indeed it is splitting right down the middle into 2 seperate corals. I will post some new pictures soon. Probably one of the coolest things I've witness in my reef tank.

S