What's going on

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Joeydz90, May 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Joeydz90

Joeydz90 Plankton

Hi I just would like to know whats going on with my tank right now, I know its cycling, its been exactly 3 weeks since i set it up. Is all that algae normal? I used to have 3 damsels but they died, I know you shouldn't cycle your tank with livestock but they where a gift and I couldn't return them. The last on died today. There is more info on the description of the video.

YouTube - What's going on?

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I take it you turned the lights on while cycling so lots of algae is normal.

4. Joeydz90

Joeydz90 Plankton

Yeah lol, should I turn them off?, There's a few xenia corals in the live rock would they survive?

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Normally yes, take pics of the xenia and post please, I think they may be aiptasia. If they are Xenia they will not survive without light and most likely not survive a cycle either.

6. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

I didn't see any aiptasia in the vid, saw what might be some angry xenia over on the right, and a bristleworm epitoke spazzing out so you'll have baby bristleworms soon. Also, your water level looks too low.

We had our lights on when we cycled and didn't get algae like that, so it could partly be that but also you must have really high nutrients in the tank or perhaps leaching from the rock.

7. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

Did you buy that from someone else that had it setup for a while?

8. Click Here!

9. Joeydz90

Joeydz90 Plankton

Oh okay so is the worms good or bad should I be worried? I bought the saltwater test kit to test the pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I should get the reef kit right?

10. Joeydz90

Joeydz90 Plankton

I bought the live rock from This fish store that specializes in saltwater fish and its pretty well known in the area. I bought them because it as very purple and green and very colorful.

11. Joeydz90

Joeydz90 Plankton

Here is a pic of the Xenia, like sushi girl said it was pretty pissed earlier when i recorded the video now its perfectly fine, Its even spreading around the tank. I used to be one now theres another 2 around the tank. http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb393/joeydz90/?action=view&current=IMAG0935.jpg

12. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

that seems like a awful lot of algea for only being setup for 3 weeks.I think i even saw some dinoflagellate algea.Have you been feeding your tank?