What's Going On w/Ich?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Fish76, Apr 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fish76

Fish76 Fire Worm

So I have a Flame Angel in QT. I thought everything was good with him, hoping it would be a quick QT before putting into the display tank. But 2 days ago, I noticed 4 white specs on him (ich) :angry:. I began Hypo and am now at 13ppt, 8.1pH, Ammonia/Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10. However, I looked on him this morning and there are no white spots, not even smaller white spots where the original ones were. I thought the trophont stage was suppose to be a couple days? When it digs into it's skin, does it disappear and unseen? Can they "shake" off the parasite when it tries to dig in, or are the white specs at the stage where it's already in the skin? Does Hypo affect ich that fast? Tonight I noticed that he was rubbing against one of the PVC piping, but no evidence of white spots. He's eating great (garlic soaked food) and breathing/swimming seems normal. I'm planning on hypo'ng him for another 4wks unless someone says otherwise, but just wondering what happened to the ich on him.

Also, after my outbreak in my display tank, it's gone fishless, going on 7wks. I have some cleaner shrimps and crabs. I bought a UV sterilizer and have been running it since the outbreak. Question is, should I be running that thing 24/7? Flow rate is set at low gpm to mainly kill parasites. Since it's been on, I noticed the water has been much more clearer too, so would want to keep it on all the time if possible.

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

welcome to 3Reef

They probably just fell off. They don't like hyposalinity

4. Ishymishy77

Ishymishy77 Peppermint Shrimp

The parisites do fall off every couple of days then go through the next stage where they reproduce at higher numbers, but in your case you are doing the hypo so you should be good to go. Are you adding stress coat as well? That helps the fishes slimecoat.

5. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

If it's scratching there still is a problem. Since you have a QT, use Marine-Max by Tropical Science and Copper.

6. Fish76

Fish76 Fire Worm

Thanks for the welcome, great site! I guess I got kinda confused cause I thought Hypo worked during the tomont stage (already fallen off the host and reproducing), unlike medication like copper which works in the free swimming stage (theront stage).

No slimecoat. Was thinking about Seachems Stressguard. Any suggestions?

Will this stress the fish too much? Wasn't sure about putting meds in w/Hypo. I have Paraguard and was debating whether to use it during Hypo.

Any suggestions on the UV question?

7. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I don't use one and never have. What plans do you have for your tank? Fish only? The downside to using uv is that it also kills beneficial organisms also passing through. Depends on your future plans for stocking and the type of filtration you are going to use whether I'd keep the uv or not. And crustaceans can also harbor parasites(ich) in the soft tissues at the joints in the exoskeleton.
    EDIT: When we catch salmon here in the bays/river mouths, we welcome the sight of sea lice. It means that they are fresh from the ocean. As they spend time in freshwater, (moving up river) the sea-lice are toast.

8. Click Here!

9. RobK13090

RobK13090 Astrea Snail

if they "itch" against anything this meens the parasite has reached the gills and is directly irritating the fish just by its presence alone. id still watch it , those flames can be touchy :cry:

10. Fish76

Fish76 Fire Worm

Fish only, no plans for corals, I already have a plastic reef :biglaugh:, which to be honest doesn't look that bad (I'll take a pic soon), but I'm sure you true reefers will be like "...what the hell...". I have couple shrimps and hermit crabs. Plan to add a pair of Clowns, Royal Gramma and Blue Tang. Will be upgrading to a 150gal in the far future once I make the space and save up some cash (and approval from the wife, that's the tuff one 8)).

Yeah, will be doing a 4wk plan for this guy to hopefully rid it of this nasty parasite. I'm really suprised at how well he's doing. Couple yrs back I had one and he would always hide and wouldn't eat anything I gave him. This one swims around all the time and has staring contests with me when I look at him (ain't afraid I guess). Plus, he eats like a pig and will pretty much eat anything I throw in there (flakes, brine-frozen/live, bloodworms, nori, frozen algae, etc.). I think I got lucky with this one so I'm hoping he makes it thru the 4wks.

11. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Hey Fish, Marine-Max is not a medication. Google it. It is all natural bacteria to boost the fishes immune system.

12. Fish76

Fish76 Fire Worm

Oh ok, thanks, I'll check it out.