What's an easy way to dose calcium/mag into a nano?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Jeffww, Jul 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jeffww

Jeffww Plankton

I'm just starting this out and I'm wondering what product would be good for dosing both mag and calc in a 5g reef. I don't really want to buy BRS and want to see if I can find something local.

What would I need in addition to say Seachem Reef Calcium? or one of the kent/caribsea supplements?

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I use Kent part A and B (well, I used it once) and Brightwell magnesium (only used once to get above 900 ppms). My calc and Alk have remained fairly consistent without the part A and B use and through a water change every other week (no fish). I simply don't have a high demand for any of the 3 components that I mentioned.

What are you current calcium and magnesium levels at now?

What kind/how many corals do you have?

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

any of the standard 2 part solutions would be good IMO

test 1st - and regularly, rather than blindly adding 10 mils per week for example

Seachems - Reef Fusion parts 1 and 2
    Kents - Nano A and B
    Brightwells - reef code A and B

there are other options also, in the liquid supplement ranges

you need a 2 part really, part 1 calcium, part 2 Alkalinity

you will also need to be testing the above 2 parameters

in addition you will need to be testing and then possibly maintaining (if water changes do not cover it) Magnesium

again there are liquid supplements for these, which are designed for smaller aquariums, thus not to costly IMO

the benefit of the dry product, comes with larger aquariums or with very high demand in smaller aquariums