whats a really good kind of carbon to get rid of my green algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Atmos, Apr 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

water changes to "fix" any problem (other than an emergency i.e. Nitrate at 60-80 ppm) is only a "band aid". Adding a Phosphate reactor and using Pura Phoslock is the more prudent approach here.

2. Click Here!

3. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

The algae is absorbing the PO4 and NO3 and giving you false readings.

4. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

Yes I run carbon and I got a rock with the pink on it so I jacked up my cal and mag and here I am it is from another rock but it is green Coraline instead of the pink rock coming out. Cutting back on th elight's will help, but it isnt the answer....Thats my story maybe you have a different algae than I have. I cut back on my lights and it cuts back. I like the green just not the yellow...it makes my tank look nasty......
    Danny

5. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

Your right it is not related. Mine is cal and mag.....the yellow is not yellow water it looks like that from so much green....get a cup out and look at it....
    Dannny

6. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Get Phosban (ferric oxide) its very good at removing PO4. I am using Chemi pure carbon. You can get Chemipure Elite which has the ferric oxide already mixed in with the carbon. Phosguard by Seachem I have never found to do much of anything.

7. Atmos

Atmos Astrea Snail

well i took some water out of the tank and put it in a clear shot glass. the water is 100% clear with no yellow tint to it. the only problem in my tank as far as i can see is the green algae. i ordered the black diamond carbon. the ph level is at 8.3 and the nitrate is at 10 ...i got phostphates and nitrate mixed up in my previous post. i get confused :| anyways i think ill also buy one of the fish that eats sand and exhales it out clean, i think its a goby. i saw them at the fishstore.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009