What's a good calcium reactor?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Av8Bluewater, May 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I can still dose at this point and keep up easily but in a few months I'll probably need a calcium reactor. I want to have a PH controller that will work with it too.
    Hoping to keep it out of the sump.
    I'm becoming partial to Precision Marine stuff so that's one that I'm liking right now. Would like to hear pros and cons of brands. I think I've read the PM doesn't have a good place to put the PH probe. My head is spinning from all the brands of controllers too.

2. Click Here!

3. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

GEO IS A KICK A____ reactor

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Pm is a great brand and so is Knop and AquaC. Luna

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I use a KNOP C by Tangsters recommendations and love the ease of it. Doesn't use a lot of CO2 either.

6. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Just remember that the reactor itself is only part of the equation as long as it uses quality fittings and isn't designed horrifically, the CO2 regulator is at least as important as is your method for controlling the amount of effluent. The reactor is mostly just an acrylic tube with some holes drilled in it (anyone who builds CA reactors don't hurt me, just simplifying to make a point!).

The quality of your pumps matters too because your reactor won't do anything if your recirculating or feed pumps seize up every couple of weeks or something ridiculous like that.

Anyways, I'm sure there are some reactors that are better than others but without everything else you can spend $1000 on a reactor and if you have a crappy CO2 regulator, poor effluent control, or picky pumps, you're probably going to get poor long-term performance.

7. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I did my research when I wanted a Ca reactor, and I went with a GEO.

Geo's don't need to have a second chamber due to the way the water flows though it.

And by all means run a PH controller, and a good quality co2 regulator. The milwaukee regulators are not known to have a good track record and fail quickly. Reef fanatic makes a nice one for ~$140.

I don't think that geo's use much co2, but even if they do, I got my 5 lb bottle filled for under 5 bucks when empty. I will get my Ca rx on line as soon as my friend finds the probe for the milwaukee ph controller. Hopefully this weekend. I have it all plumbed up and it is all good.