what wrong with this brain? (picture of it dead now)

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by billielewis3, Nov 3, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Agreed. Should have mentioned Radion in the first place, lol. My Wellso doesn't like to be directly under the led's. Its probably 6" to the side.

Frogspawn can take a lot of light, but they have to be SLOWLY worked up to it.

2. Click Here!

3. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

Ok, if i need to i can reduce it down to 55-65% if i see its not accepting the light. That dfrogspawn i had was fine for aboyt two months directly uner 100% radion

4. barbianj

But its a cumulative thing. They can take higher amounts of light, as long as they're healthy. Your corals will die quicker with too much light rather than too little.

5. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

good morning. i very carefully compared yesterdays picture of the brain, to what it looks like this morning, and there is no change what so ever. I'm beginning to think that those two spots that have tissue damage are from me, when i was positioning it into my aquarium. Which sucks, but on the other hand, id be glad to know it was me and not some mysterious random tissue killer. Could that be the cause?

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I am with the others, tissue recession from the Radion fixture.

Although I have never had that fixture nor LED's, I know from experience that Trachyphyllia and closely related LPS do not need as much light as we think they might. Low in the tank on the sand bed not under direct lighting initially and feed it.

7. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

Will do corailline, and thank you:)

8. Click Here!

9. barbianj

For example, my Wellso is 29" below the light, and 8" off to the side, using 120 watt LED's.

10. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

turned for the worse. the tissue in the effected area has peeled all the way back to the mouth of the coral. so far it hasnt spread, just got sever in that one area. I think that if i keep moving it, then ill do more harm than good.

11. barbianj

Yeah, they are hard to move. You have to get your hand all the way on the bottom, not pick it up by the sides where the flesh is. I had mine recede nearly half way, and got it to grow back.

12. barbianj

Any improvement yet?