What would you do? (Aptasia in fuge)

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Midnight_Madman, May 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

Get some aptasia-x.. Works great. No ill effects

2. Click Here!

3. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

I also have a bunch of chaeto in the sump with LOTs of those little starfish with the long legs... and pods too.. I would be losing all of that.

4. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

Personally I would leave it well enough alone. The pepermint shrimp will keep it under control in the DT and they act as good filters in the sump. If your really worried about it throw 1 shrimp into the sump and see what he does. Re-evaluate in a month and see if it's worth isolating the sump and treating with Aptasia-x for a week or two.

5. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

I word of warning.. I just had to get rid of my pep, he was reallyyy agro. He was super territorial and killed a cleaner shrimp and emerald crab of mine. He was good at keeping the aip's in check, but I just got rid of him. Granted every shrimp is diff and you could have a totally different experience.

6. saltysupply

saltysupply 3reef Sponsor

you could always blast a few every day with some aiptasia killer, red sea etc....or thow some peppermints in the sump to...they are the best solution I have found so far...only in high flow areas they seem to stay away from those aiptasia

7. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

I've actually heard of people culturing aiptasia purposely in their refugium as they are supposedly good water polishers. Maybe they are actually doing some good for your tank.

Not supporting the idea or anything, but food for thought :)

8. Click Here!

9. swffan

swffan Plankton

Save your money! Dont buy the Aiptasia X or Joes Juice. Get a bottle of lemon juice and a syringe and inject in the base of them. Do a few at a time and a small water change. They will be gone in no time.

10. Foreverfishy

Foreverfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

This would be a good idea to do.... if they arent hurting anything then why bother taking them out.

On the other hand, I did read that they are stressful to coral around them, and occasionally even sting fish and desirable invertebrates. I further read that they can be hard to remove once in a tank