What would be your choice(Hair Algea)

Discussion in 'Algae' started by trying it again, Aug 24, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. njdevilsfan

njdevilsfan Flamingo Tongue

2. Click Here!

3. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

+1 on the seahare. I just got one this weekend and you can see everywhere it's been.

4. reefboy23

reefboy23 Feather Duster

Does anyone own a fire urchin or a flower urchin?? (potentially deadly) I myself am a fan of the blue tuxedo urchin.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

+2 Treat the cause, not the symptom but in the meantime, use only "reliable" grazers like snails and a few hermit crabs.

6. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

160-180 various snails and crabs (in my 55 gal. I got them last week and they' eaten all the algae!! My tank looks great and the water is testing PERFECT! and they love the tank...all over the place!) Yes, I know I will have to feed them to keep them alive, but no algae.....it's worth it!

7. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

algae will grow in a tank with perfectly fine water,but if you remove the algae and you have very good water,it will not grow back as quickly.i mentioned earlier having to get rid of a starving seahare that cleaned the tank in a week.keep your water good and just enough cleaner crew to slow eat away at the problem.pull any big clumps of algae out when posible.so you don't have to give some of a over sized crew back after its all gone.be patient.don't take you lr out and scrub it like i've heard people do.those algae spours can stay in lr for 7yrs and their in all lr.

8. Click Here!

9. Warsaw

Warsaw Plankton

Is a fresh water bath a treatment at all for hair algae ? My old manager said he would scrub it off his live rock ( no soap of course ) and give it a freshwater bath

10. trying it again

trying it again Fire Shrimp

Thanks for the all the feedback.
    Yes, going after the problem is the real solution, but its nice to have things in the tank that will help keep it self maintained to a degree.
    So today I picked up one of those things(lawnmower blenny)
    Another new addition. Hope its hungry;D

11. reefboy23

reefboy23 Feather Duster

Iv'e seen lawnmower blennies that looked 8 months pregnant but really just had a stomach full of algae. So trust me it's hungry.

12. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

the best eating machine i've ever used was a seahare. my tanks only a 12 gal nano so when i get one its a loaner, the do a fast job. helps when your good friend has a saltwater shop!!!! anyway, a seahare worked for me when I had the same problem>>>>