What would be causing my pH to fall during the day?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by leighton1245, Oct 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

It most definitely will help.

2. Click Here!

3. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Have you read this?
    What Your Grandmother Never Told You About Lime by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

IMO, get a slow pump such as a dosing pump or aqua lifter. Also, I think you have a controler? You may want to plug your ATO into your controller and set it to turn off if the pH gets too high. This is all I do. The problem is if you dose kalk too fast, lots will just precipitate and it will be less effective, or possibly cause more severe issues, such as precipitation events (described in article).

I prefer to use Mrs Wages, as lime is self-purifying, so, there is no reason to spend lots of money on it, as long as you mix it and let it settle (also described by Randy in various articles, i believe including this one). The problem with 2+2 is your paying extra for magnesium, which Randy has shows precipitates out of solution and is an impurity in kalk anyways, but whatever you feel more comfortable with with...

Increasing air flow should definitely help. You can also buy Co2 scrubber media from bulk reef supply, but that is expensive and doesn't last long. Cheaper to open a window or something...

4. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

I have a reef keeper lite plus so i have a pH probe yay!! lol i dont have a sump right now so ill be doing this in my display. Thank you

Sweet maybe that will fix what i think is bacteria also on my LR thanks

5. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i do as m2434 does i have my controller set to turn the power off to the ato, if my ph gets to high. it safe guards you. i have a faster pump than is recommended , but it goes into a high flow area and have never had precipitation.

also Kalk+2 is clear in an hour. not 24 hours. it might cost more, but with that plus... to me its worth it. all i do is add water to my system. the amount of water that would evaporate in an hour and add water to my ato stir the Kalk into my ato. fast and easy. since you have a controller you can set one of the feeds up for your Kalk add. so it turns the ato on and off ,i have found my way to work well ad have not needed to add the command to my controller

6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Well, when I was using BRS kalk it was clearing in an hour.... of course I was adding ~30ml/g of vinegar ;D

7. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

BRS left chunks of kalk in my ato. i gave a 12.00 container of their kalk away. hey but the main question is...was you running a uv? lol i know it has noting to do with it but love to bust on you about the uv. love the different opinions on here. :)

really what works for one may not work for another it seems. i think there as so many veritable's in every ones tanks that that plays a huge part

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Maybe the uv is causing the clumping :p j/k

1 person likes this.
  10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

lmao too funny ;D

11. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

leighton1245 some people mix their Kalk up in a bucket first let it settle than add the kalk water to their ato container leaving what settled in the bucket it was mixed in. i really think its the safer way of adding kalk. they also mix it than drip it into their sumps and don't use the ato to add it.
    but since you have a controller that can turn the ato off if the ph gets high. that will safe guard you with using the ato. before i bought my controller i worried about the ato getting stuck on and crashing the tank with the kalk.

hey m2434 not sure why i had a problem with BRS kalk? i was new to using kalk when i tried it so maybe that was the problem? could have been the user not the product ? defiantly was a great price.

12. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

Thank you very much for recommending Kalk+2 to me both issues that i was having are gone my Ca, ALK and Mag are perfect my pH is 8.0 right now but i have been very slowly bringing it up.