What wattage lights needed?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Brandmaner, Apr 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brandmaner

Brandmaner Astrea Snail

I want to grow some very simple corals and possible 1 Anemona in about a year or so from now.. so just the lights for simple corals and I'll reupgrade them later if I don't find a good deal on the best ones now.. But I have a 55g Tank soon to have a 15G sump/fudge. :)

2. Click Here!

3. Trigger Man

Trigger Man Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

You can go straight to t5's and then you don't have to worry about later. Go with a 4 or 6 bulb and I will assume your tank to be 36 inches long. With those lights you will be able to grow sps later on if you like. I've got the tek 48 inch 4 bulb in my tank and it is a full blown reef tank, including some of the most difficult sps growing in there with great color.

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

go with 4 wpg. the type of lighting is going to determine the type of corals you get. i would get t5 since there the most versitile and you want a anemone.

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I would just get it over with now and get the light fixture that you will need in the future. Anymore, I only recommend two fixtures. The ATI Powermodule is an excellent unit, comes with pretty much everything you need....but is pretty high priced. The TEK is a very reasonable unit and high quality as well. Both units come with high quality bulbs (yes, it does matter what kind of bulb you get). ATI comes with ATI bulbs. TEK comes with UVL bulbs. TEK does not come with a splash guard or legs.....you have to buy those separately. You're looking at about $80 bucks extra. I have links below that reflect pricing for the above.

You can buy either one of these from Reefgeek.com or Aquatic Art Technologies. You can PM Tangster or That Guy (AAT) and they can give you a price quote. I will give you the link to reefgeek so you can look at what I am talking about.

Since your tank will be 48" long, I think you would do fine with a 4x54W array.

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/ATI/Powermodule_Fixtures/48_inch__4x54W_Powermodule_T5_High-Output_Fixture_w!_Bulbs_by_ATI

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Sunlight_Supply/Tek_Light_Fixtures/48_inch__4x54W_Tek_Light_T5_High-Output_Fixture_w!_Bulbs_(Black)_by_Sunlight_Supply

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  6. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

+1

Went with a cheaper light first off, and have regretted it ever since.

7. Brandmaner

Brandmaner Astrea Snail

Well at the LFS a guy is offering me new MH for only 350$ wouldn't these be better I think there rated 65Watts or 60Watts each bulb with 4 bulbs..

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

a halide would put out alot of heat. i dont think i would recommend more then 2x 175 or 2x 150.

a halide would probably be better but be ready for very high temps in summer, even if you can keep the tank temp down with fans or a chiller the viewing room may get uncomfortable if its not very large or tall

10. medhatreefguy

medhatreefguy Fire Worm

To bring out amazing color in your coral MH is definitely superior. Keep in mind that you will have to deal with heat. MH lighting supplemented with actinic and the sky is the limit, superior colors, that cool shimmer effect. I am currently using 2x250W HQI supplemented with 4x54W T5 HO on my 110 tall and I wouldn't have it any other way.

11. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

I'm with him, although I'm partial to getting a canopy and using a retrofit kit. I can't stand having the lights blast me in the face when I'm looking above the tank trim but below the fixture.

12. Brandmaner

Brandmaner Astrea Snail

Thanks for all the input guys!