what water to buy ?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by card shark, Oct 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. card shark

card shark Flamingo Tongue

ok the water from are R.O. system at work has a really high PH(8.6 to 8.9),so i dont use it.Then i bought water from my LFS they have the same R.O. system with the same PH,i dont use that any more.then i went to walmart bought Distilled water,the PH was still high.i thought it was my test kit,nope not that,used a freinds electronic PH tester,tested the same as my test kit.So when i was in walmart waiting for pictures I went to look at the water.I found this out while i was there.

Distilled water,purifide by distillation Duh!!
    Drinking water ,purifide by reverse osmosis
    Spring Water,purifide by UV and micron filtration and something else

so like the title says what water should i buy ?. Thanks for reading and any coments.JOE

2. Click Here!

3. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

what size tank have ya got?

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Go to the fast food restaurant you frequent the most. Ask them how much they want for carbonated water. (I.e. no soda syrup added). If they recognize your face, it will be free. Dump some into your RO/DI water, wait 10 minutes and retest the pH.

However, if it is just for a small amount of top-off water (which I suspect nano reefer is trying to determine by his question) mere respiration by the occupants of the tank will add enough CO2 to the top off water to bring the pH back down quickly.

5. card shark

Ok. all want to know is what water would be best for future water changes.nothing else so my tank should not come in to play.And i am not going to a fast food joint and ask them for anything.Fast Food is the nastiest stuff you can eat would you feed a quater pounder to your fish.No. i respect both of you and what you have to say but it is a simple qestion that gets a simple answer. Thank You again JOE

6. sean_p_f

sean_p_f Sea Dragon

i think he did give you a simple answer but try this go to a 5 star resturant and ask for soda water to drop the ph of your ro water if you are worried.

let me ask you this are you having a high ph issue in your tank from your current water supply and if so what. if not i would worry about it dont fix what isnt broke.

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I had hoped to save you some money because I assumed you could get your work water for free and I could give you a free way of fixing the pH or let you know that it's probably not an issue.

However, if you insist on paying money for your water, I would go the distilled route.

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i would go the reverse osmosis route, but then again i don't know what distillation does. a uv sterilizer only kills living things does nothing about copper or minerals
    some spring waters come from the faucet and aren't from a spring at all.

1 person likes this.
  10. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

hmmmmmm... i hope you are not meaning this in the wrong way, people here are just trying to help. your tank size can make a huge difference in what water to buy b/c in my case i have a 10 gallon, i go to the grocery store like every couple weeks b/c my precipitation is not that bad, although it would be better without the halide.... in someone elses case, like say if you had a 100 gallon or something it would probably be better to just buy an RO/DI unit which would save you money in the long run. Either way I would watch very carefully what you say to poeple, especially here on 3reef. I dont think there are any bad "eggs" if you will and I certainley dont want to see any show up :)

11. card shark

thank you for your response . i live in the middle of the sticks i dont really have a choice but to buy water.The ph in my tank is fine.when i added the salt to my mixxing bucket the ph went to 8.2 to 8.4 so as far as he tank goes thats fine.Just lookin for advice to find out what would be best.i cant afford an ro system right know so me buying water will have to do.i get 10 gallons of any of these different typs of water for 4 bucks so it aint bad.thanks again joe

12. card shark

i did not see this yesterday before i responded to the other posts.i geuss i cant just sit back and say nothing.so here i go.

i am not taking anything the wrong way,i am not trying to be a ****, i am trying to find out what other peoples thoughts are on what water i should buy thats its,what whould be best for my tank.the size of my tank shouldnt make a difference in what water I AM GOING 2 BUY WITH MY MONEY!!.i am not a bad egg until someone trys telling i am a bad egg.so i guess i will just read stuff on here instead of asking any qestions.Nano,come on chill out and relax 8).Thanks JOE