What Types of Cichlids

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Shamroc93, Mar 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Shamroc93

Shamroc93 Plankton

What types of cichlids would be good for a 30 gallon fresh water if I want 1-3 cichlids. I just want smart colorful cichlids but there is over 900 speices so I need a little help! ​

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

I would strongly advise against doing cichlids in a 30g if you want really colorful cichlids (mbunas, haps, peacocks). there is just not enough space and once they begin growing, aggression is going to become a serious problem.

if you want a really cool cichlid system out of a 30g. Your best bet is to go for shellies. You can do a colony of a particular cichlid species. Something like Gold/Red Top Caundopunctatus, Brevis, or Multifasciatus - My personal shellie favorites.

The other species, like all the zebras, and afras, etc etc. The really, really colorful africans, would not work out long term in a 30g. You can do it temporarily as long as you plan to upgrade the tank within a year. Also do a larger group than 3. Three mbunas is asking for trouble. Keep in groups of 5 or more.

1 person likes this.
  4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

For your size tank, I agree with ReefPlayground, in that their are many species of African Rift Cichlids that are ideal from Lakes Malawi, Tanganyika and Victoria, that remain fairly small and do better in smaller tanks and often are less aggressive with a larger population of them.
    If you still want South or Central American cichlids, I would go with Acara's, Rams or Jewels.

5. pshootr

pshootr Fire Worm

If I was you, and I wanted to keep zebras, which I happen to like a lot. I would get three of them, let them breed, then thin out the tank every so often, when things get to hairy in there, by trading them in for credit at the fish store. IMO zebras are very enjoyable to keep and breed. My old zebra/convict tank was lots of fun. They were in a 55 long. I kept may be 18 fish in that tank, with a lot of flat rock shelving structures in the tank. Never had a single problem with it. I had that tank for years.

6. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

I love the german blue ram ;)

7. BiG_rEd81

BiG_rEd81 Plankton

i started out with ob peacocks....very colorful...many different kinds....i also like the german red zebras