what type of skimmer should i get?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Gexx, Oct 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

ok the title says it all. i dont want ot spend a lot of money but in this hobby what you pay for is what you get. i was looking at a sea clone (think thats the name) its around 100 dollars. ive also heard of an octopus skimmer but never actuallt taken a look at them. thanks for the repys in advance. ps its a 30 gal.

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

SeaClones are perpetually unreliable and flat out don't work very well. I would suggest an AquaC Remora with a maxi jet 1200 as a pump, this is a HOB type. You can also look into the Octopus skimmers, they are supposed to be pretty good.

4. alexander

alexander Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

yeah I'm in the same boat. I'll probably get ther octo nw150 for my 112g. Do you have a sump?

5. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

no i dont have a sump. i have only read good reviews about the seaclone adn its the only one in my price range guys. i know your thinking well just save up. well guys i saved up my summers worth of working at a farm and only had just enough to get the tank going. since ive read god reviews im gonna go with it. if it sucks well thats just another i told you so you can do on me.

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Please do not go with the sea clone. You would be much better off spending the money on the rock you still need anyway, which should be done before ANY skimmer.
    If the aqua c or octopus are out of your range, search e-bay for used models. You can save a bundle that way. Heck a 3 year old aqua c with a half dead pump would still work 100X better than a sea clone ;)

7. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

i fully agree with you on this. the rock is a definate first adn thank you for telling me about why i should buy the dry base rock instead of live rock now. i WILL get the rock before the skimmer (have enough for a little dry roc at a time.) i will go look at ebay right now for a protein skimmer.