Resolved What type of macroalgae is this?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by jhawkor, Jul 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

Hey john, do I need to have the lights on this 24/7? Is this a good macro to pair up with chaeto because I just ordered some cheato and ulva from you.

2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Didyah see it before? It was pretty devoid of life prior to the infestation. Some claim it actually cleaned up the place a bit in terms of using up "extra" nuitrients. it was pretty polluted prior. But your right, it still stucks and I didn't mean to imply it as less, just that it was out rolling up and down the coast, but contained in a lagoon.

4. Elebriend

Elebriend Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

No, don't keep it under light 24/7. This will cause it to go sexual and nuke your tank.

5. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

Really? I've heard from other sources that caulpera should be kept under light 24/7. I'm not doubting you just kinda confused can anyone confirm this?

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

What invaded the Ca cost is Caulerpa taxifolia not this type of grape caulerpa as any plant eating fish would destroy this as a food source in no time where at the Caulerpa taxifolia would kill them and as to date there is no known animal that will feed on the taxifilia except maybe 1 or 2 slugs that where discovered by accident in a algae shipment. Seems it was let loose in Ca and over in the Mediterranean sea by the people at the Monaco aquarium and by hobbyist in the Ca area .

Now as for 24/7 lighting I would not I only use the grape caulerpa and would not use anything else ran the feather caulerpa for yrs it did a good job also But either can never be lite 24/7 they need to photosynthesize to live .

7. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

caulerpa racemosa (here var. pelata - please excuse spelling) isn't a good choice for the aquarium. It looks nice, grows fast etc...but is hard to prune, the runner won't peel off surfaces and will come off in bits and pieces...making control difficult.