what type of light for frag tank?

Discussion in 'Frags' started by schackmel, Mar 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I am in the early stages of planning a frag tank. YET ANOTHER TANK :eek: I am actually starting to think my dogs and myself are going to need a life preserver to get into my house with as many tanks as I have going!!!

But I am thinking I am going to get a 20L and plumb it so I can have a sump on it. I already have a sump... But am not sure what the best light for it. I am going to focus my attention on fragging mainly SPS which are currently under 250WMH x4 bulbs and 8 T5 acentic lights (over a 6 foot tank).

I was at a LFS and they had just got in these awesome lights that have timers built in that you can control the different levels of blue and white light (cant remember the name..they are brand new) but they are also very steep and only come in 36" versus the 30" for the tank! I am wanting to get the best bang out of the dollar as I can for lighting. But I also want to have good lights!

Any suggestions?

2. Click Here!

3. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

WOW! For MH over a 6'er plus 8 T5s?! WOW....
    I honestly over a 20, especially coming from your DT would crank a MH pendant over it... Heard some rumors of new pendants with MH and LED combos, supposed to be very nice. My buddy is going to show them at the frag swap in Cali in April, I will have to ask him how they are.

20l huh....

Not many options there..

Happy lighting!