What type of LEDs would I need?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by JasoNoles, Oct 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JasoNoles

JasoNoles Plankton

I am just starting to look at LED lighting and wanted to know what would be a good option. Im not sure I would want to DIY leds but I wish the price was cheaper for the all in one units. If I was to get a aqua illuminations sol how many would i need to get. I have a 110 gallon tank and it is 30 inches deep. Any other option that you guys can think of would be grateful.

2. Click Here!

3. pmrossetti1

pmrossetti1 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

if 48"x19x30 you could do 2 mounted parallel.
    3 would be even better (of course, right)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  4. JasoNoles

JasoNoles Plankton

Yea I was thinking 3 as well what are the good pre built light fixtures. I want something that can make it down all the way to the sand. It doesn't seem like all fixtures are powerful enough to reach that deep.

5. mightyrae

mightyrae Spaghetti Worm

I think this is a combination issue. What I mean by that is if you have more units you wont have to have them as high off the water surface. It also depends on how intense you need the light to be at the very bottom. I think you gotta base your decision on your layout as well. If you dont have corals out the the ends of your tank then maybe you dont need 3 units. My suggestion would be to run 2 units first and see what results you get. You can always add a third later.

6. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

I see you keep posting this same thing on all the led threads. Are you trying to promote a business? If so then that is not allowed. If you are trying to help then you should post some useful information right here in the thread.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

7. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/aqua-illumination-sol-recommended-aquarium-sizes

That should help decide how many you would need. With the dimensions above seems like 2 if you keep them more than 12in above water line and 4 if less than 12. When you go to purchase I would ask the sell and tell them what you want to do with the tank and see what they suggest compared to what that site says too. Hope that helps.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

insanespain

using the report button, little red triangle
    and I could have banned this muppet before dinner time for us all

10. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Unfortunately I was using tapatalk lol

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk